Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Volkswagen

Seb

Volkswagen

A cousin of mine his into car tuning and he is currently working on his car. I intend to capture the work in progress. So, here is something totally different from what I use to do.

Please criticise!

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Re: Volkswagen

I love the colors and the filter effect around the edges. Maybe a more senic location would help. A wet country winding road or something. I bet your friend gets good gas mileage. I drive a Durango. 12.9 mpg.

You can get 12.9 out of your Durango?? Sheesh I guess I'll have to make my foot take a diet lol... I get 11.3.

I like the shot seb . The color really jumps off the screen. But I do find the slight tilt distracting.. although from seeing you previous work I am sure that the tilt was intentional.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Seb

Greg: Well he could get good gas mileage in theory but considering how he drives, I am not sure he does lol. I will reshoot in a better location later on. This one was more of a test shot that turned out better than expected (to me at least). The following pictures will actually be portraits of my cousin with the car. Thanks.

Jaedon: The tilt wasn't intentional. Thanks for noticing. May the tiny D70 viewfinder be damned! This is why I need an Hasseblad H2D! I did the post processing in an hurry last night. I just missed that aspect. Thanks.

Here it is again, without tilt...

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

I like the low angle this was shot from. Is there a way to bring out the tires a bit more? I've been getting free issues of Photoshop Magazine (or whatever it's called) and the latest one to arrive had a step by step on how to make a car photo really stand out.

But then, I'm not sure you're after that 'showroom' look. At least not for the 'before' photo, which I'm assuming this is.
    OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

New York State Of Mind. J-Dogg Productions's Avatar

hey seb great shot. that yellow really pops against that black background great angle i love the reflection in the windsheild and those headlights look great.

great shot seb
    J.Curreri

its a nice clean shot, what distracts me is behind the car half of the background is white and the other half is black. i think its the dark side that bothers me cause it kind of blends in with the windshield. other than that the car stands out very well.

oh and BTW i;ve gotten 43 mpg in my car (when i donl't drive like a bat out of hell)
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Seb

Obie: I am not too sure what you mean by showroom look. Perhaps the magazine you are reffering at would have a website with few examples. While there is still a whole lot of work to be done on the car, the exterior won't change much. The wheels are dark grey, they don't catch much light. I dodged them a little following your comment and I think that it looks better that way but I doubt I can go further. Thanks.

J-Doggs: Thanks.

Dylan: I see your point. Thanks for commenting.

Seb

GB1

Seb - sorry, but I don't get it. It just looks like a car parked in a big garage.

gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Seb - sorry, but I don't get it. It just looks like a car parked in a big garage.

gb
    Well the angle is pretty straightforward and yes, it is just a plain garage. The point here for me was in the post processing and how I tried to make the car glow in a somewhat cartoonish way. That being said, I welcome your comment. I appreciate your honnesty.

Seb

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Seb - the magazine is called Photoshop User. They sent me a free subscription when I bought PS recently. I haven't read a lot in them yet, but they always seem to include a section called "Down & Dirty Tricks". This last issue took you step by step from an 'ordinary' car photo to getting it to look like the shiny detailed cars in the dealer brochures. They added a lot of shine (as you have done), and were able to make the tires 'pop' and you could see detail. Unfortunately they don't seem to want to show their magazine articles on the website (www.photoshopuser.com).
    OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

Thread Information