Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Vine Vulture

Vine Vulture

I was on my way to pick my wife up from work a few days ago when I noticed two large birds swoop down into a vineyard near the road. One was perched on a vine post and the other was on the ground. This was a quick shot without much forethought, but I was impressed with the size and look of them. I took this with my Fuji S5000. How could I have gotten a better photo? Any comments? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vine Vulture-vulture-3.jpg  

I don't know the power of your zoom, but a closer look at this giant would have been impressive. You say that this was a quick shot, so not much thought into the composition, I guess. Centering the bird in the frame shows us a bit too much of the busy surroundings, which compete with your subject. Sharpness could be better, but if the lens was zoomed to its max, you probably didn't have a decent shutter speed to work with. Good effort of a not-so-usual subject. :-)

Lightbulb

Some cropping could do a lot for this photo - you have a wild and crazy background an interesting bird - you might even try to throw it off kilter a bit. Conventional photographic wisdom is to avoid putting you subject dead center.

Thanks Charles and Lava Lamp.
    I had to reduce this photo quite a bit to be able to post it, so I can go back to my original saved image and see if I can make it better. I was really in too much of a hurry , as my wife was waiting, but I couldn't resist taking the opportunity to get an out of the ordinary photo.

Thread Information