Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

The Vietnam Memorial at Night

Here are images made at The Wall and the Vietnam Nurses Memorial. Critiques are always welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Vietnam Memorial at Night-wall.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Re: The Vietnam Memorial at Night

I like your composition of the wall and how you have the lights running our eye up through the scene. The purple color sky seems fitting as well. I would only want to see a bit more shadow detail in the dark areas particuliarly the fence in the fg. you could most likely tweak a bit more out of it in ps.
    The other image has some beautiful golden tones, but the statue is getting lost in the lights and bg. It blends in with the bg too much It becomes too busy.
    Good
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

GB1

Both have some nice color, but for me, the compositions don't do much for me. The top one is a little too geometric and has too much negative space at the bottom and left. The bottom shot has too much clutter behind the statue and seems a little soft.

Subjects like this are easy to get average shots of, but difficult to elevate. Try the statue again, but more of an underneath angle with as wide angle of a lens as you can use. Shine your own colors on it if need by to spice it up a bit (flashlights with colored lens?). The top shot I am not sure, but the subject does have a lot of potential.

GB

MB1

Nothing to draw a viewer in.

Quote Originally Posted by CLKunst
    Here are images made at The Wall and the Vietnam Nurses Memorial. Critiques are always welcome.
    The Wall shot lacks something to attract the eye. The background of the Nurses shot blends into the statue and makes the whole thing muddy to me.

That is a very hard area to photograph, even harder at night. I suspect your best bet is to get in closer and concentrate on details.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Thank you for your guidance all. I started this series last year and these were my inital attempts at this particular area of the Mall. I knew there were problems with these but was having trouble defining them for myself being enamored with certain aspects of the image (color) but not truly satisfied with the whole. I figured the forum might be able to give me some fresh perspective before I resumed work around this spot. Thanks to your input I will now have some great ideas about what to steer away from. Will post my second attempts at a later date. Please feel free to comment then as well.

Anyone else with constructive criticism please offer up advice/critique. I won't have time to revisit these sites till at least next week so there's time to chip in your two cents.

Many thanks!
    Cindy
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Thread Information