Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: vase

vase

here is a vase that was sittin on the mantle

Re: vase

Ok for this one I hate to be brash but... so what? Maybe try zooming out a bit and not center the vase. Also, try some lighting (a flashlight works like a charm unless you've got studio lights laying around ) to get some shadows and make it more 3d looking. Dim the ambient lighting a bit (take it later in the day with the lights off). Also, try picking another background that either gives the viewer only the vase to look at or simply enhances the vase-- the mantleplace is just "there". I hope I don't sound excessively authoratative and give you a bad impression of the forum, it's just I think with a few changes here and there you can get a really good set of pics.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

fx has good points though I did find the bg a bit more interesting when I looked at it magnified.
    You have your subject dead center in the frame, eyes have no where to travel. Even a lower angle would work better, here
    It is a vase that has a lot of possibilities. As fx says, do something with less light and a flashlight of somethign shining through the glass, do closeups of the varied color patterns.
    Let your imagination go.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I can see why you chose the vase for a subject. It is a beautiful piece of glassware.

However, the background and lighting don't really make it stand out. I am not enough of a photographer to make any concrete suggestions as to how to improve it, but maybe a different background and/or lighting. What if you could somehow light it from underneath with a black background?

i will try some of your pointers this weekend thanks for the help

Neptune, New Jersey, United States of America

I think a lower angle would work much better for this. I would also have to agree with fx101 on the lighting, too. You might want to move this off the mantle and have a seamless white background to really isolate the vase. You could also use lighting with colored filters on the white background to give it a bit more interest - the same could be done with the stone of the fireplace, too.

Thread Information