Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: vanishing point

vanishing point

This shot was also taken in the Everglades last weekend at Flamingo point. I would have liked the boat closer to the tree, but alas I got there too late and they were heading in the other direction. The top and bottom have been cropped already (it was just more of the same sky/water), left and right margin are "as shot". What I'm struggling with on this one is the composition. Not sure if this is working or if I should lose the boat altogether and concentrate on the tree with the hawk in a portrait orientation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vanishing point-flamingo_pano_3.jpg  

GB1

Re: vanishing point

Argg.. just lost my critique writeup on a browser crash. Trying again

I like this shot. It has an artsy feeling and is definitely a keeper.

Don't lose the boat. I like it even better than the tree. It's a bit too blue for me, try adjusting the colors to a redder hue (too bad you didn't have a sunset in there btw). I am also not sure about the composition but think that it can be tweaked. I also see the issue of the two objects on the same plane - which can work - being too far away from each other, which sort of makes it not work. But I don't see this as fatal.

Why all the jaggies? Too much compression, or sharpening? Can you fix it?

Tried a little artistic expt -whatta think? The pt is that you have a decent shot that can be artistically manipulated in a lot of different ways .. So have fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vanishing point-flamingo_pano_3_gb.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

It's definitely working. Do not lose the boat.

Neat interpretation, GB.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Don't lose the boat. I like it even better than the tree. It's a bit too blue for me, try adjusting the colors to a redder hue (too bad you didn't have a sunset in there btw).
    Yeah, sadly the opportunity presented itself at high noon LOL

Why all the jaggies? Too much compression, or sharpening? Can you fix it?
    Too many resaves on the small file, originally shot in RAW so it's not a problem to export a fresh copy.

Tried a little artistic expt -whatta think? The pt is that you have a decent shot that can be artistically manipulated in a lot of different ways .. So have fun!
    You may be on to something here, with the monotone sky it may not be too hard to replace it with something more dramatic or adjust it to vary the color. What originally caught my attention was the clean yet vast look and the way the sea and sky color shift is almost imperceptible. It's hard to spot on the small re-size but that tree contains a nest with a baby sticking it's head out, just across from the large bird (shows up much better in the full size) so that's why I wanted to keep it in.

THanks for providing some inspiration and ideas to ponder

I'd like to see what you're thinking with the just the tree...

As far as your composition above, to be honest, my very first impression was I didn't think I liked it, however, as I continued looking, I changed my mind. At first I didn't like it because the subjects were too distant -- then I decided as a whole it was interesting because of the vastness of the sea and sky that you captured along with the vast "story" potential my crazy imagination so enjoys!!

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Shebang, here's just the tree with an original version and a hue shifted sunset version (from the prompt GB gave )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vanishing point-image2tree.jpg  

I really think the boat adds to the composition; the tree alone doesn't capture my attention.

In a perfect world:

Nice light, a little closer to the boat, boat heading towards the tree and the person in the front of the boat should be fishing (maybe a tarpon on the line, jumping out of the water).

Chris

GB1

jet - I think the boat is much more interesting. Too bad the guy w/ the pole isn't wearing one of those crazy looking hats that the fellows on Chinese junks wear!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

good pictures
    Today it's easy to get photos of different color. In the dark room was very difficult and I remember a long time and not always the result was good
    Ciao dall'Italia-My latest photos :wink5: : http://forums.photographyreview.com/...d=1#post418901
    My gallery on italian forum: :smilewinkgrin: http://www.photo4u.it/album_personal.php?user_id=23886
    You can use my photo for correct mistakes
    NIKON D300S,NIKKOR 18-200,TAMRON 90 MACRO 1:2,8, SIGMA 120/400 4.5/5.6 - COOLPIX S640-Extension tubes-Flash TUMAX 880+ring macro - N° 3 old KONICA A. T - T3 - DARKROOM for B&W and old CIBACROME

o.O why lose the boat? the boat makes this shot. your original is awesome no need to modify it, it speeks for itself imo. your initial crop was just as awesome as the shot. no need to gid rid of one side of the photo. the shot stands stong as is.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Yep. I like it better with the boat. More interesting.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Thread Information