Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Untitled

GB1

Untitled

C&Cs welcome.

Gb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-img_0524_px800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Untitled

Looking good GB. Maybe crop just a little off of the top.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I really enjoy seeing shots like this that can convey some inherent beauty in common everyday things one usually passes by without a second glance. Great shot, like it as is :thumbsup:

I agree about cropping a bit off the top. The pieces of wood distract me and I think cloning them out or desaturating them may help. I really like this shot

I really like the image. The earth and mountain and sky are all so flowing and organic and you have this sharply delineated, geometric thingie (reminds me a bit of the Imperial Walkers from one of the STAR WARS movies) taking its stance amidst nature. It seems to have a bit of an attitude, too! Very compelling to my eye. I actually like the extra sky. It has a Japanese/Chinese esthetic where the sky was made taller than the ground. Even in mounting piatings on hanging scrolls they would mount it off-center top to bottom, adding more height to the top of the mounting.
    ...Michael ... ("Realart" is not a reflection of my photography. It is the company that re-released the great old Universal horror films in the 1950's.)

The photo could also be slightly cropped from both sides to retain the original aspect ratio which keeps the Imperial Walker looking more terrifying/majestic.

GB1

THX for the insightful replies. After looking at the shot again, I think it could probably be slightly cropped w/o losing its feeling of height (the 'Imperial Walkers' look ).

I think it may be a good photo project to shoot everyday things that are grand or majestic in their own way, even if they're things that are normally associated with urban blight. Then take all the shots and publish in a book.

Realart, does this thing really had an attitude? I can see it, slightly.. perhaps it's the low angle I took it at which may make it more dominating.

Regardless, I will try a print of it as is, and another with less sky and see how they 'feel' .. that's the real test!

GB

My Site

Cool shot. Sorry to be so shallow, but it reminds me of a scene from the 50's movie, "the Amazing Colossal Man". Not sure why - just does.

Phil G.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by PhoebeG
    Cool shot. Sorry to be so shallow, but it reminds me of a scene from the 50's movie, "the Amazing Colossal Man". Not sure why - just does.

Phil G.
    Never saw the flick ... but a Google search turned this up

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...500_AA280_.jpg

I like this one better

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e50ftwoman.jpg

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Never saw the flick ... but a Google search turned this up

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...500_AA280_.jpg

I like this one better

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e50ftwoman.jpg

That's the movie! He falls off of Hoover Dam in the end (hope I didn't ruin the ending for you). There's some scenes where he's tangled up in power lines and has mountains in the background because of the Nevada setting.

Anyway, I agree on your movie choice, I'll have to pick up a copy!

Phil G.

GB - yeah, it really does have a bit of an attitude! What helps is the angle and also the upper "limbs" that appear as small t-rex arms, but held out with a 90 degree angle from the "elbow". Kind of like "You talkin' to ME?" (as long as we are using film references!).
    ...Michael ... ("Realart" is not a reflection of my photography. It is the company that re-released the great old Universal horror films in the 1950's.)

Thread Information