Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

"United" - a third idea

Hi all .. this is another one in my little series as I prepare for a competition on the theme of "United". This one is a little more direct to the theme than the others - basically, the "united" being referred to is three churches united in an ecumenical partnership. So, I had the notion of three key fobs with the names of the churches, but all connected to one key. I tried various things like candles, bread and wine, etc, but this one seemed to work the best.

Maybe a little hokey, but that could be what they will look for.

What do you think?

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "United" - a third idea-united-bible-keys-jpg.jpg  
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Re: "United" - a third idea

I like the color of the tags against the bible cover. Nice shot...
    "The force of art lies in its immediate influence on human psychology and in its active contagiousness."

-Naum Gabo

MB1

I think the book is too centered in the frame and the colors of the table and the cover are too close to each other making the image too monocrome. Perhaps a different color table or a white table runner would bring out the colors of the book more (aren't the pages trimmed in gold too?).
    No, I DON'T need that.

Hello Mike
    I think the idea and thinking behind this one makes it somewhat more interesting than the earlier flower shots.
    I'm on my wife's uncalibrated monitor and I'm seeing pretty good seperation in colour between book and table.
    I would like to see this being a bit more casual though and with a bit more clutter around; like you've just come in the door from a service and leave your Bible down with the keys, as you would. But this looks good as it is and I do like it.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I like it. Its a very strong image with no distractions. Also I think the table color works fine as background.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks guys for your comments. MB1 - while I can appreciate what you are saying, I deliberately went for a warm, almost monochromatic look (indeed, the bible in question is sort of a burgundy colour and not black, so that it would fit with the table) - the idea was to make the key fobs stand out a little more than they might have done.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Subtle use of a 3-lever key too, I like this one a lot.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I really like the colors of the key fobs. I think is represents your theme of unity very well. One suggestion- Do you have a Bible without the NRSV on the cover and just the words 'Holy Bible"? Not a big deal, just a thought.

I think you have a keeper here.

Mike,

This is the best so far for me.

Just a suggestion, do you have a better background, plain white so that you can get a high key type look to make the bible look as if its floating in space.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I like the theme and the shot. I like how there is nothing to distract a viewer from the symbolism presented here. An alter runner might work to complete the feel, but that might go ahead an add the distraction. I like the colors of the key fobs, the antique key is a great touch. Good Job.
    Army
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"-
    Benjiman Franklin

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Thoughtful image.

Lot's of metaphors in it.

I really like it.

Len

Thread Information