Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

United - a competition draft?

Hi all .. there is a local photographic competition coming up here in the near future. It is an inter-church thing so the standard won't be all that high I think.

Anyway, the theme is "United" and I thought I would try to generate two or three images to illustrate the theme. This is the first one I have come up with - it's only a "draft" at this stage so I will rephotograph it once I know exactly what I want from it.

What do you think?

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails United - a competition draft?-united-01-f-jpg.jpg  
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Re: United - a competition draft?

I like it a lot. I wonder what the effect would be if you made the pipe cleaner tie a third color, that doesn't match either flower? (or match the stems, for that matter). Just curious..for me, just personal opinion...that might enhance the effect? (affect? oh, I HATE this):blush2:

maybe an orange pipe cleaner? I kind of want to see more contrast in the petals....nice shot

What if you had a red flower in a yellow vase and vice versa?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I like this one better than the scrabble board.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Mike,

Interesting idea, I like the concept but as others have said, any chance of a red vase?

I'm with the orange pipe cleaner/wool concept as well.

Lovely pic though. The lighting is spot on. I also like the fact that the yellow flower's stem is lighter green to the red.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I misread that as untied - DOH !
    I agree on the colour.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Red flower in the yellow vase, get a red vase and put the yellow flower in that. Then use an orange pipe-cleaner. You might also want some more dramatic lighting (or a light background that accentuates the flowers more).
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Thanks guys for your input. Actually it's not a pipe cleaner, but a little piece of rope from one of those fancy bags for giving wine asa gift. I only have silver and red to play with.

However, I take the point about colour - so I am going to try (this morning) using two red vases and making both tulips red ones and see how that goes.

Interestingly, someone else pointed out to me (something that hadn't occurred to me) that the "feel" is not so much "united" as "bound", such as two people in an unhappy marriage - tied together, but facing away from each other. I may work on this idea too.

I'll post whatever I come up with.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Or use a ring, if you want to be perhaps more subtle about the binding.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

When I first saw this "shotgun wedding" was what came to mind. Two red roses I feel will remove the "bound" "unhappy" vibe from this; opposite colours are needed for this feel, (if that's the feel you like best).
    I think the stiffish cord you used here is ideal; anything dangling sweetly again would not aid the forced feel. Barbed wire would have really done the trick .

For the "united" theme to work, and to walk away with the competition, you really only needed a shot of the both of us in that pub in Docklands .
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Thanks guys again for your input.

In the end this is for a church competition where they will be looking for a positive spin on the theme of "united".

After much experimenting I have settled on the attached image as probably the best I can do with the materials I have. I have used the same coloured tulips and same coloured vases and tried for some subtle diagonals.

I may well use the original in camera club circles where the more subtle discordancies may be appreciated.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails United - a competition draft?-united-tulips-03.jpg  
    Mike Dales ARPS

Mike I have looked at this many times and I think it may be better without the tie or with a different one. I can't help thinking it would look better with another element, minus the tie, at the base of the vases. A pair of rings? It just doesn't say "Married" to me. Take my opinion for what it's worth since I have never tried a shot like this.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg .. the thing about still life type shots is that everybody will do them differently - one of their strengths, I think.

A little background might help to explain why I did it this way - my own church is part of a three-church ecumenical project (sort of a team ministry). One of the other two churches is celebrating its centenary this year and the competition is part of that. So, the theme is not really do do with "marriage as united" - just united in general. Actually I did experiment with the rings idea, but they were too low and too small to jump out as the defining aspect - hence the tie which, at the least, defines the theme at a glance.

Strictly, three flowers would have been better if I wanted to describe the three churches, but a) I only had two vases the same size (!) and b) it tended to look messy.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Can you shape the pipe cleaner into a heart?

Mike,

Don't know if this would be possible but how about the flower heads meeting rather than going away from each other?

I think I prefer the initial pic rather than the two red vases.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

Hi Roger .. in the words of Blue Peter, here's one I made earlier

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails United - a competition draft?-united-tulips-02-little.jpg  
    Mike Dales ARPS

I'm hard to please

How about the yellow vase with the yellow flower? instead of two reds?

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Roger ... people have got black eyes for less

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

The one with the flowers touching works for me.

Any chance of having the 2 flowers facing each other?

Len

Thread Information