Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Under God's Care

After a couple weeks of nothing but baseball, I had to take my wife's car in for servicing yesterday, and took the camera along, just in case. I had an hour or so to kill, and I think I put the time to use wisely. I chose the title based on a sunny day, and the church in the background.
    John

Re: Under God's Care

Hi John,

That image sure has potential (for me). Great color, and I think you nailed the exposure.

But, (again, for me) I think the image may be improved by stopping down and getting the church in focus along with the flowers. Also with this focal length, I'd try getting down lower to get some flower stalk in the image. Finally, if there is room behind at a low elevation, I would try a longer lens to make the church appear a bit larger.

GL,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    Hi John,

That image sure has potential (for me). Great color, and I think you nailed the exposure.

But, (again, for me) I think the image may be improved by stopping down and getting the church in focus along with the flowers. Also with this focal length, I'd try getting down lower to get some flower stalk in the image. Finally, if there is room behind at a low elevation, I would try a longer lens to make the church appear a bit larger.

GL,
    Tim
    Points well taken Tim. However, the grass was a bit wet yet, and I didn't have anything with me to spread out and lie on. As for the longer lens, I relish the opportunity to get that shot with the 70-300, and I had it with me, but again--with nothing to lie on, I had to crouch as low as I could. Trying to handhold the 70-300 in the position I was in would have been fruitless. That said, I rather like the shot as it stands now. I think the DOF keeping the church OOF makes the shot.
    John

John,

I personally would like to see a little more of the flowers in the shot...the title is a little iffy cause I don't know if I would've recgonized that building as a church if you didn't point it out. Neat shot though, love the idea, just pretty much what Tim said

It looks technically fine IMO. However, to convey your message a little better, perhaps alower perspective might have helped along with a decent telephoto length to compress the subjects, and make the church appear to loom over the flowers. I don't think it is necessary to have the church in focus as we can tell what it is. Nice shot though, I am really enjoying the color and exposure.

Thanks everyone.....I'll go back there and re-do that shot. Next time I'll have something to lie on, and make sure I get many varied angles. I'll think of a better title too.;)
    John

Quote Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    Thanks everyone.....I'll go back there and re-do that shot. Next time I'll have something to lie on, and make sure I get many varied angles. I'll think of a better title too.;)
    John

No, man. The title is the best thing about it. Don't change it. I'd like to see a bit more of the flowers -- up to about a third of the frame. Have you noticed the black line/column in the middle of the frame? (A tree protector?) It kinda ruins an otherwise very good picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    Have you noticed the black line/column in the middle of the frame? (A tree protector?) It kinda ruins an otherwise very good picture.
    yep....that's what it is.
    I'm going to print up a copy of this on some plain paper as a reference, then write upon it everyone's suggestions.....then reshoot.
    John

I like how there appears to be such an abundance of flowers...that ties into the title a bit for me. The colors are great.
    I agree with Lava about the dark column in the middle there...but, I'm not sure what you could do about that yourself.

Emily

Quote Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    Points well taken Tim. However, the grass was a bit wet yet, and I didn't have anything with me to spread out and lie on. As for the longer lens, I relish the opportunity to get that shot with the 70-300, and I had it with me, but again--with nothing to lie on, I had to crouch as low as I could. Trying to handhold the 70-300 in the position I was in would have been fruitless. That said, I rather like the shot as it stands now. I think the DOF keeping the church OOF makes the shot.
    John

Hi John,

I just re-read my review, and I think it comes off more negative than I intended. My apologies. If you posted this is VF, I would of replied that "that is a cracking nice shot you got there." Just read my comments as suggestions to play with that may (or may not) improve the composition to put it over the top. There is obviously nothing technically wrong.

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

I like this one John. The DOF is great the way it is. If the Church was also in focus I think it would've been busy and it wouldn't highlight/bring attention to the roses as good as this shot does now. The only thing that bothers me is the boulder to the right. What a lump of earth!
    You'll need a contractor (and a lawyer to get you out of jail) to remove that one ;)
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information