Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Under the boardwalk

I am not a big fan of post processing - mainly because I am slightly colour blind and so cannot really 'see' the differences. However, I was pleased with the way I was able to correct my original to straighten the horizon here.

Canon 50D

Re: Under the boardwalk

Um...I don't know that it needed straightening. I kinda like the first one. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Really? everything I read tells me to keep the lines clean. Took me and the wife ages to crop this

personally I prefer the modified picture but there is a massive part of me that hates changing the truth. Truth is I took a crooked picture.

Now people skilled in software can take that average snapshot and make it look good. It is not what I shot but I have to bow down to the modern way.

Funny thing is I work in the IT industry but hate most of what it does. lol
    Canon 50D

I prefer the first one because it is more abstract and leads my eye down through the scene to the small opening at the end. What's out there??? The second one is the bottom of a dirty pier. Remember that I’m just a beginner, "I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see."

It is certainly not the lack of Truth that bothers me. I see post-processing as part of photography just as it always has been. Much easier, more powerful and less exclusive; but the same. And I strongly disagree with, "Now people skilled in software can take that average snapshot and make it look good." A mediocre shot is still mediocre. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I too like the first one better. My eye is drawn down the center of the pier. The second one, and maybe because of the crop it makes me notice the pier more than looking for what is at the end. If the crooked horizon bothers you, try straightening it out but not crop it so much if possible. Also because of your position under the pier when you straightened the horizon it gave me a feel that the water is moving off to your left, whereas the first one the water flows down the center. My .02
    -Shawn
    www.tpsphotos.com

Canon EOS 6d w/Battery Grip
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS Rebel G
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 25-80mm f4-5.6 III
    Canon EF 70-210mm f4
    Canon 35-70 f3.5-4.5
    Canon Lens EF 50mm f1.8
    Promaster FTD 6500M
    Canon Speedlite 420ex
    Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II

I think I prefer the first and I'd like it even better cropped square.

Nice work!

I'm going to go with the first one, too.

Couldn't tell you why, but remember, photography rules aren't rules. The first one just has more character, and that's what makes it interesting.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will keep the original
    Canon 50D

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Nice texture in the shots, I like the 1st as well but wondered what it would look like straight. When I saw the 2nd I liked the first more. Well done. S
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Rules Schmoolz...I like the first one too. I like what shootme had to say, I would have wondered what it looked like with the vertical lines fixed. Once you do that you are free to choose. What you learn here is that the more important rule is that the image holds your interested and your eye moves continually around the frame.

Rules in photography serve as guidelines--they teach us about composition and force us to think, sometimes painfully, about what we are photography and why; but at the end of the day, its about creativity--and if you follow the rules you won't come up with anything unique.

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Smile Re: Under the boardwalk

Quote Originally Posted by StormGirl_LP
    Rules Schmoolz...I like the first one too. I like what shootme had to say, I would have wondered what it looked like with the vertical lines fixed. Once you do that you are free to choose. What you learn here is that the more important rule is that the image holds your interested and your eye moves continually around the frame.

Rules in photography serve as guidelines--they teach us about composition and force us to think, sometimes painfully, about what we are photography and why; but at the end of the day, its about creativity--and if you follow the rules you won't come up with anything unique.
    Now that should be in the rule book...
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Thread Information