Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Twins

Twins

An attempt of an "a la Adams" pic :blush2:
    The background is busier than I would like but dealing with branches in PP is not a joy LOL.
    You know the drill... shot C&C`s
    Bare with the softness....I guess its due to the compression.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Twins-pc283510-copy-copy.jpg  
    Last edited by BlueRob; 01-09-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Re: Twins

This works for me Rob except the little bit of beach in the foreground
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Quote Originally Posted by hminx
    Ditto on that..Awesome shot..ditch the beach

darin
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

Excellent.

Cropping out the beach would result in too little foreground, in my opinion. And the reflections would be too close to the bottom or, worse, cut off.

I might try other methods to get rid of the beach.

Wink Re: Twins

Agree w/ Dray can't just crop the beach. So I played a bit and got the attached by making a copy, flipping it upside down, skewing it to match the angle of the shoreline, motion blurring it to match the water, then adding it as a new layer and blending it in with the eraser (hardness '0'). It's much easier to line up the two if you switch layer blend mode to overlay or hard light so you can see through the top layer, then reverting back to normal blend mode once you're sure you have the top layer positioned properly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Twins-brhow_to_image.jpg   Twins-br_image2.jpg  
    Last edited by jetrim; 01-09-2010 at 07:32 AM. Reason: changed opacity of top layer

Well, that was just awesome, jetrim…right on for me

I was going to suggest reshooting from a different angle to include more water in the photo, acomplishing something similar to what jetrim did , increasing the amount of reflection of the trees :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by hminx
    Thanks mate :thumbsup: , I dont mind the pebble beach in front its a good "end" for the reflection IMO.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Hiker
    Ditto on that..Awesome shot..ditch the beach

darin
    Thanks Darin... appreciate it

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton
    Excellent.

Cropping out the beach would result in too little foreground, in my opinion. And the reflections would be too close to the bottom or, worse, cut off.

I might try other methods to get rid of the beach.
    Thanks Señor Dray :thumbsup:
    Yeap... for me cutting the beach out will leave the reflections out of sight. Jets´s method does the trick pretty well :thumbsup:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    Agree w/ Dray can't just crop the beach. So I played a bit and got the attached by making a copy, flipping it upside down, skewing it to match the angle of the shoreline, motion blurring it to match the water, then adding it as a new layer and blending it in with the eraser (hardness '0'). It's much easier to line up the two if you switch layer blend mode to overlay or hard light so you can see through the top layer, then reverting back to normal blend mode once you're sure you have the top layer positioned properly
    Jet your PP skills never fail to amaze me...have I said that before
    That approach is awesome and does the trick very well.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do it, explain it and post the examples. :thumbsup:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m
    I was going to suggest reshooting from a different angle to include more water in the photo, acomplishing something similar to what jetrim did , increasing the amount of reflection of the trees :thumbsup:
    I would like to make a re-shoot but its a hell of a long trip

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Thanks all you guy for the comments....now that I see the image I get the filling it should have more contrast...looks a bit flat?

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

I agree about not cropping the bottom. I also like what jetrim did in that area.

But Rob, no I don't think it's flat. The thing about black and white that always gets me as well is I keep adding more contrast because I always think it's too grey. Well duh!! it's supposed to be grey, haha. So I learned to try to stop my self from thinking that too much. So when it comes to your original shot, I think it was perfect, I don't think it needs any contrast.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs
    I agree about not cropping the bottom. I also like what jetrim did in that area.

But Rob, no I don't think it's flat. The thing about black and white that always gets me as well is I keep adding more contrast because I always think it's too grey. Well duh!! it's supposed to be grey, haha. So I learned to try to stop my self from thinking that too much. So when it comes to your original shot, I think it was perfect, I don't think it needs any contrast.
    Thanks Leels, yeah I tend to do the same thing, suddenly I realise that I ended up with an ugly range of pure black and whites, then I roll back.
    The thing with ansel Adamas is that his work is very dramtic...with just a short range of color he managed to accomplish masterpieces....the man was a genius.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

I like the image the way you posted it. The bit of beach kind of completes the scene, well at least for me. And the softness is nice for a shot like this.

FAO JETRIM....

Your PS abilities surpasses me...which is no news LOL....I tried your approach and could not align it properly, despite you perfectly clear explanation... you mentioned a SKEW of -9...that is the angle? or H value or V value

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnesss
    I like the image the way you posted it. The bit of beach kind of completes the scene, well at least for me. And the softness is nice for a shot like this.
    Thanks Chris:thumbsup: , I do like the beach too, I`m trying what Jet suggested to see what outcome I can get own before make up my mind....I almost sure I`ll end up liking both LOL:mad2:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

-9 is the V (vertical) it lifts the left side 9 degrees in PSP or photoshop
    Motion blur is Filter>blur>motion blur in photoshop or Adjust>blur>motion blur in PSP. 180 is the direction of the blur and 17 is the number of pixels (you may need to bump this up til it looks right on the full size version)

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    -9 is the V (vertical) it lifts the left side 9 degrees in PSP or photoshop
    Motion blur is Filter>blur>motion blur in photoshop or Adjust>blur>motion blur in PSP. 180 is the direction of the blur and 17 is the number of pixels (you may need to bump this up til it looks right on the full size version)
    Thanks a lot Jet...I`ll give it a try tonight :thumbsup:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Ha! why wait for the night.....

Hope to meet your expectations Sensei (Jet)
    Also added a tad more contrast and sharpness, did try another compression method in order to keep as much as possible the quality.
    As predicted I like both with beach and with PP water reflection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Twins-pc283510c-copy.jpg  

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

I am not sure I can justify why, but your second take is quite nice. In the first one I liked the gray wave of branches of the background trees, but wanted more contrast and texture in the twins. It seems as if the second take fixed that and now it is quite stunning.

SWEET! Nice job :thumbsup:
    I like the near beach showing through the water, adds some depth to it. also looks much better sharpened up, adds "pop" to the scene.

This one is good too! But I still like the first one.

Daq7, Jet and Cris thanks for your comments, no doubt the scene improves with the add up contrast and extra sharpness, now I dont see it as flat, which was my main concern at the beginning.
    Also I was doing the resize and compression wrong I guess, which contributed to the softness an lack of detail.

Jet thanks again for you PP tutorial...really appreciate it :thumbsup:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Thread Information