Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Trick or Treat

Trick or Treat

Canon T3i at ISO400 for 30 seconds with Rokinon 8mm at f/3.5. Thoughts? Not sure if the general crowd out there would like or be interested in this photo, but my mountain biking pals sure love it!

durtgurl.smugmug.com

Re: Trick or Treat

I like it! Not sure how if i like the glove on the rock in the picture. On one hand the glove is part of the equipment of riding and could work. but I think it is such a nice clean shot the bike and the moving lights are enough. Great work.

Great depth of field for f3.5. Love the way the width of the light trail tells the story of their speed down the track.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

I love it....draws me in and keeps me there. good stuff

Thanks all... BTW, my "tripod" was a little doggie bean-filled toy that I grabbed in a hurry because I couldn't find my packable gorilla tripod - note the fuzzy brown in the lower left corner I am anxious to take more night riding shots on some of our more technical trails up the mountain... night shooting is a blast!
    durtgurl.smugmug.com

thats awesome. LOVE LOVE LOVE Light Wrighting

I think the out of focus foreground hurts it some. Also clipping the front of the bike off.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Good overall, but needs more bike and less foreground rock in the shot. Nice and clean though which is very nice.

Technically great and I love the light trails. But I'm not sure about the crop (into the bike). And foreground neutralizes some of the majesty of the mountains and night sky. Nice as a test shot, though. Very clean (to use Ridgetop's word). Nicely done.

My favorite part of the photo is the amount of light captured. looks like the vehicle(s) passing by lit up the scene very nicely for you. I wish the foreground was sharp also. other than that, it looks great.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

GB1

I can see why your pals like it DG, has a lot of neat objects in the shot, like the bike, light trails and interesting, rugged landscape. From a photographer's viewpoint, this shot is one that was taken under less-than-ideal circumstances, where you apparently had to lay the camera on the ground verses a tripod. It doesn't have the DOF to get the very close foreground in sharpness... not sure even f22 could have done that, but the blurry foreground is certainly a distraction. However, using a small aperture would have REALLY taken a long time: f22 is 4.5 f stops above 3.5, so that would have been about an 8-12 minute exposure.. probably not feasible. I would also have liked a little more of the bike's front wheel in the picture.

Alas, nice graduated sky, w/ stars to boot (nice!). And it is an interesting shot. Night shots are fun.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Still working at light trail shots with the T3i and 8mm Rokinon. This is my favorite from last night's ride. I'm looking to buy a packable tripod, but for now I'm still using whatever I can find (mostly rocks) to hold the camera. Without a bike in the shot like before, is the context lost? Or does this work on it's own as an abstract shot? Thanks for looking.

durtgurl.smugmug.com

I like it! I agree the out of focus stuff in the foreground is a little distracting but still a cool shot overall. I also enjoy night riding and have done some 24 hours racing which is good fun (only wound up in the ER once so far - d'oh!). I've also done some shots similar to this, even with the same lens! Fun indeed!
    The new one is also cool and I like that plant in the foreground and the foreground sharpness. The low perspective is interesting but you won't want that for all the shots or it could get tiresome. I have a Flashpoint carbon fiber tripod that's relatively light and wasn't super expensive. I still don't have an ideal way to carry it on my camelback, so I only bring it when the focus is more on photography than riding.

GB1

Love the abstractness of the 2nd post ;) That curving of the light is awesome. I don't know about the far right red lights though, seem like they distract from the curve. Great cropping. Keep doing whatever you're doing on these creative idea implementations!
    G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information