Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Tree At Edge Of Field

Hi GB Here's where preference comes into play. I heavily favor lone trees standing. There's a few in my gallery. As for the saturation on the other 3, I would like to say it was me catching them at the right time but, I think it has more to do with the post processing in Lightroom. Sshhhh, I won't tell if you don't ....LOL
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Yep, back again...LOL There was some crazy fog out this morning so I stopped at this tree again to snap a couple more shots. Here's my fav of the morning. I really like the haunting quality the fog added to it. What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tree At Edge Of Field-tree-edge-field-5.jpg  
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I think that I would really like see a color version of this. The composition is very nice. It's almost as if the fog is surrounding the tree. Do you have a color version?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Ask and thee shall receive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tree At Edge Of Field-dsc_7200.jpg  
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I think that I like this much better. I think that cropping most of the sky would work well. The sky doesn't add to the picture.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg I've been looking at today's images now for the past couple hours while playing with different edits and to be honest,they're not quite working for me now. Either in b&w or color. There just missing that little touch of character. The clearer sky ones at least had some clouds or something but, these I feel are just missing that little "piece" to pull it together. Shame there weren't any deer or other animals out. What do truly you think of this series to date? Is this something worth further pursuit or...? Brutal honesty is appreciated ;)
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Yes a dramatic sky would help. If the skies aren't right I usally don't even bother to shoot. I had a tree shot similar to this one and it took weeks before I got around to shooting it. Waiting on the elements to be just right can be frustrating. A early morning mist might would work here too. Don't give up. You'll catch it just right sooner or later.

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg I think I'm going to have to get motivated and haul my butt out of bed early to catch this at sunrise. Stay tuned, (in best Arnold voice) "I'll be back"
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Here's a blast from the past. Was a cool foggy morning and couldn't resist stopping for another crack at this tree. I'm really liking it in a 6x6 format. Any thoughts?

Aaron Lehoux * flickr

aaron

i just love your posts and as you know i love b & w. (in fact your pictures on the beach "inspired" me to try to take a reflection only on the beach today)

as you know though i know nothing about nothing (but as my old teacher would have said ~ that means you must know "SOMETHING")

the first picture i love but it doesn't seem to have much depth (not that i know much about depth).

the ONLY photo that i think is better in colour than black and white is the 2nd one that you have re-posted.

the rest well...

as i say b & w can hardly ever look bad to me..

the first though doesn't seem to have the sharpness and depth that you showed on the beach photo.

to me that was absolutely "jump up and smack me in the head" type of shot. i want to like the posts but these don't seem to be quite the same as the beach photo that you posted,.

i guess you will be judged now by that standard.

myself as groucho marx once said " i have principals. and if you don't like them, i have others."

perhaps more poignantly 'i wouldn't want to be in a club, that would have me as a member."

:blush2: :blush2:

Quote Originally Posted by threelions usa
    ...as you know though i know nothing about nothing...
    You really need tp stop doubting yourself 3L. How does that saying go?... "The more I learn the less I know."

Thank you for your critique. I agree, this is a very different feel than the beach shots, which is what I intended, at least with today's shot. Thought after hitting this on foggy days a couple times, I like the mysterious feeling the fog adds to this spot. I still think it need just a hair bit of something. Was thinking like a woman/girl in a white dress running through the field???
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

aaron thanks for the advice..

you tell me to stop doubting myself.. i really don't ~ it's just that i am in the very early learning stage and i have a ways to go..

and then you tell me "the more i learn the less i know.."

great ~ you had me at "stop doubting yourself."

LOL... Kinda contradictory huh?

I'm right there with you. Still in the early learning stages myself. I still don't feel comfortable posting critiques at all as I still feel like I don't know what I'm talking about. Been trying to make myself do it though as I'm starting to see that it helps me to learn as well.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information