Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Tower of London

Tower of London

Hi all .. I needed to get away from the phone for a day so I toodled off to the Tower of London which I hadn't been to for a couple of years. Here are two of the images: The first is part of the White Tower (the central and oldest part of the complex) which I converted to mono to give it (hopefully!) an eerie feel. The second is a couple of actors doing a reenactment. It was handheld in poor light but, I think, has am "old master" feel about it, almost like a painting. What do you think? As always, any comments at all are both welcome and appreciated.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tower of London-white-tower-jpg.jpg   Tower of London-king-jpg.jpg  

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Re: Tower of London

Hi Mike!

Good for you for getting out! I think both of these are solid captures. I really like your second image and agree with you that there is a painterly quality to it. The lighting looks very rich and warm. Did you shoot this RAW? At what ISO? The tower shot is interesting but doesn't grab me like the second; it's the human elements that attract me.

Regards,
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

MB1

Naturally I feel just the opposite of CLKunst (sorry about that). I like the black and white, the color not as much.

My problem with the color is the green pole sticking right out of the actors head and that the colors look too modern to me in relationship to what the actors are supposed to be. I might like this one more with a tight crop on the "King" removing everything from just above his crown and cutting out the second actor entirely.

For the B&W I like the sky, the DOF and knowing that it is (to me) an unusual view of the Tower Complex.

Thanks for the quick comments .. I'm glad you see some merit there. MB1 - the green pole bothered me too a little. So I have done a version with it (and a few other bits) cloned out. I must admit though that, imo, the other character gives the whole thing its painterly effect. I did try it without him though.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tower of London-king-04-jpg.jpg  

CLKunst ... it was shot on jpg - shutter priority of 1/60 sec - f 4 and ISO 400 (no flash).

Mike

shame the green pole wasnt just to the right of the head.. in some ways it adds interest..

trog

Thread Information