Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Frog Face

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Frog Face

Very loud bass voice for such a small creature. Longwood Gardens, PA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frog Face-frog.jpg  
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Re: Frog Face

What great lighting with good detail well into the shadows (any secrets to that?). The shallow dof with tack sharp eyes make this a real grabber. At first I was going to suggest elimination of the leaves hanging down into the right side of the frame but I think they enhance the feeling of him being in a secluded hole under the vegetation.
    ----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    What great lighting with good detail well into the shadows (any secrets to that?). The shallow dof with tack sharp eyes make this a real grabber. At first I was going to suggest elimination of the leaves hanging down into the right side of the frame but I think they enhance the feeling of him being in a secluded hole under the vegetation.
    I shot this at f/6.3 at 135mm (28-135 IS, still my favorite lens!). This gives it the somewhat shallow DOF. Also, the deep shade and water makes a big difference. I have about a dozen shots at all different settings but this is the one I liked the best. The sharp focus was deliberate. I learned a long time ago "from the masters" that animal shots should focus on the eyes. As I always use the center-spot focus of the digiRebel, this was easy to do.

Oh yeah, shot at 800 ISO and cropped. Not bad at all, the digiRebel does an excellent job!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Very nice composition, I too thought the leaves were a distraction so I used my hand to block them. But found that they were a very important part of the composition.

Opinionated Newbie

I would have liked to see a closer crop. I agree that the leaves are distracting. Also, for me the color and contrast is a little flat. What makes photo's like this that are found in the nature magazines so beautiful are the colors and contrast. It simply needs more "pop".

Very good work on this shot. I like the leaves as they make the shot a bit more interesting for me. The frog almost appears to be sitting under an umbrella. I am impressed that you could get so close since you only had a 135mm lens!

Greg

Very good work on this shot. I like the leaves as they make the shot a bit more interesting for me. The frog almost appears to be sitting under an umbrella. I am impressed that you could get so close since you only had a 135mm lens!
    The lake was filled with tadpoles and a few grown frogs. This frog was the only one that allowed me to get this close. I guess it felt safe or maybe it was just lazy. I like the leaves also for the same reason, I wanted more than just a frog.

Also, for me the color and contrast is a little flat. What makes photo's like this that are found in the nature magazines so beautiful are the colors and contrast. It simply needs more "pop".
    This is always a problem. Many people are used to seeing (and most love it!) the over-the-top colors and contrast of Velvia film. Outdoor photographers have been using it for decades and try to duplicate the effect with digital. Unfortunately, I have always strongly disliked that super-saturated high contrast look. Frogs don't really come close to glowing in the dark! I deliberately set the RAW conversion parameters to very low saturation and contrast and then juiced them up a bit in Picture Window. The colors are pretty close to what I saw and the scene was, indeed, lower contrast. I tried various higher settings for each but discarded them as too far over-the-top. I realize I am in a minority but hey! It's my photo :-)

Thanks for the comments y'all!

Thread Information