Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Torrey Pines State Beach

Another from the full moon shoot. Not quite fully dark but the last moments of the day.

CF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torrey Pines State Beach-torrey-pines-state-beach-pr.jpg  
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Just Lurking

Re: Torrey Pines State Beach

CF,

This is a lovely shot. You captured the light at the perfect time, not too dark or light. Nice colors. I'm not as sure about the road since it enters the frame and then leaves again without adding too much extra, but I'm not sure it would be as nice without it. I like the bridge structure as well. Well done.

PC

PC,

Thanks very much. I wondered about the road, coming in disappearing, etc. but I wanted the bridge and you can't get the bridge without the road. Thanks again, I appreciate the comments.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

I do like the photo, but I would of like to see more of the sea, maybe a panorama?
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

think i was there in the summer.

great locale.

perhaps a shot from the beach (i.e. lower down ?)

i like the bridge/road although what it adds i have no idea.

as you know i am a relative noobie and don't know something from shinola (:blush2: ) but i DO think this has some merit.

you have some GREAT options for shots as this is a great part of the coast, san diego, la jolla etc and with the added cypress it can really give some oomph ! to a shot.. isn't there some cypress up on the cliff side that you could incorporate more ??

didn't know that they were so "endangered" and wondered all along the pch what those strange "ents" were.

Wow, another good shot CF. I really like the composition of the image, and the colours really set it off for me. Good job
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Frey/Threelions/Danic:

Thanks all for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the kind words and suggestions. Not sure in the technical sense what the bridge brings to the shot but I like the architecture, the angle that it comes into the shot, i.e., a hard straight line toward the water then the hard lines of the bridge against the softness of the daylight, beach, etc.

Thanks again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

GB1

CF - Nice angle. I've been down this road about a zillion times, driving, walking, biking and running, that it looks like home. Don't think I've ever seen this exact vantage point though. I think I would have panned to the right and gotten more of the ocean in and a little less of the land. There's really not that much happening in the far left there. The car lights add to the shot imo. I wonder how it would have turned out if you had used a very small aperture and purposely turned those into light trails. Nice shot.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

GB,

Thanks very much for the comments. Perfect night with the full moon, it was a good time. I had to make a choice about the amount of land vs. ocean as I wanted the bridge architecture in the shot. If you pan right, to get more ocean, you get less bridge and it looks cut off/short. I didn't want a much more dead ocean space and had to trade more land above the bridge to get the bridge, if that makes any sense. :mad2:

Regarding the small aperature to make trails of light, I did that and thought it looked funny. I prefered being able to see the cars so sped up the exposier a tad. I guess its all in what you want.

Great beach, that. Doesn't get any better in my opinion.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

CF

CF
    Coastal Flyer

MB1

I like this one a lot-you caught the magic moment between sunset and dark nicely. You also have a great mix of man made and natural landscapes going on here.

I too think that there is too much land on the left and not enough water on the right and the whole image seems tilted a tad to the right but those are very small issues with this really good image.
    No, I DON'T need that.

MB,

Thanks very much. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

CF .. I like this image - the colour is lovely and the "feel" is very nice. I suppose I am with some of the others though in that it is really two pictures trying to be one - the lovely peaceful seascape, and the road with the sparkling lights. I am not sure how to handle this kind of scene - but I wonder if trying to get both aspects is trying to do too much? I am not sure - these are my musings on it

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

CF

I can see what the others are getting at but for me the juxtaposition of nature v man works for me, The business of the scene on the road and the city in the background screams of the impact of man on the environment.

One thing I would prefer is that there are too many people on the beach and it would be better if it was lonelier which would emphasies the dichotomy even more.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

CF

can i ask

do you park n the left and walk under the bridge..??

if this was a beach thati visited on my summer "hike"

what a great beach it was too..

i paddled in the water and walked along for a while..

we also went to another beach where there was "gold" flakes in the water perhaps you know it..

another where the hang gliders went of the cliff ??? just along the same road ???

all in all a GREAT summer vac...

pch all the way...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Threelions,

Sorry it took so long to write back. I hate it when work gets in the way of recreation. Yes, the state park parking lot is on the left and you walk under the bridge to get to the beach. There is parking near beach as you can see in the photo. As for the gold flakes in the sand/water, I don't know about that. The hand glider port is very near here but just a bit north at the Torrey Pines golf course. Not too far away, however. A beautiful place, for certain.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Nice shot CF. I like the bridge and road. I think it's an interesting subject and you captured it at a good time of day. Is it leaning slightly right?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    Threelions,

Sorry it took so long to write back. I hate it when work gets in the way of recreation. Yes, the state park parking lot is on the left and you walk under the bridge to get to the beach. There is parking near beach as you can see in the photo. As for the gold flakes in the sand/water, I don't know about that. The hand glider port is very near here but just a bit north at the Torrey Pines golf course. Not too far away, however. A beautiful place, for certain.

CF
    my friend who we went to visit lives in la jolla and said that this was her favourite beach.

the other beach we visited (we which one's DIDN'T she take us to) was close to a famous hotel ~ right on the beach...

anyway, suffice to say after driving down the pch from mid oregon to san diego, my only regret was that we had to do it in about 3 days.

3 weeks (or more) would be more appropriate.

:cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

Nice scene and good perspective. great lighting as stated and exposure is right as well. I like the people on the beach as there seems to be very few imo and sets off that after hours feel. The trees on the hill appear as if they are marching up over the crest to their resting places.
    Good work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Nice scene and good perspective. great lighting as stated and exposure is right as well. I like the people on the beach as there seems to be very few imo and sets off that after hours feel. The trees on the hill appear as if they are marching up over the crest to their resting places.
    Good work

all the way through california along the pch, i kept asking my co-pilot: "are those ENTS ?"

so it's not just ME !!

Greg/Gary/threelions:

Thanks so much for the comments. It was a perfect night for photography.

Threelions: I have to plead ignorance, what are "ENTS"? The famous hotel on the beach was on Coronado island, and the Hotel Del Coronado. Where Jack Lemon, Tony Curtis, and Marilynn filmed Some Like It Hot.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    Greg/Gary/threelions:

Thanks so much for the comments. It was a perfect night for photography.

Threelions: I have to plead ignorance, what are "ENTS"? The famous hotel on the beach was on Coronado island, and the Hotel Del Coronado. Where Jack Lemon, Tony Curtis, and Marilynn filmed Some Like It Hot.

CF
    YOU MEAN YOU HAVEN'T SEEN//READ LORD OF THE RINGS ????

Oh, no. Sorry, I have not seen nor read Lord Of The Rings. Just not my thing. Sorry.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

sorry thought just about everyone in the world had seen it or read the books or seen the trailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmpD3...eature=related

the last march of the ents.

as the torrey pines seem to be all roots and not much tree at ground level, they always looked to me as though they were "going somewhere" hence me associating them with ents..

i suppose you should have been there..

:blush2: :blush2:

Smile Re: Torrey Pines State Beach

Coastal Flyer, thank you for sharing this photograph. This continues to be my favorite beach and you captured one of my favorite times there.

Hi, threelions!

Patty,

Thanks for the kind words and for taking the moment to comment. I couldn't agree more. Hope you are staying dry.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Thread Information