Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Tony Orlando concert shots

What do you think, guys? I shot this concert last night. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tony Orlando concert shots-img_3166_800x600.jpg   Tony Orlando concert shots-img_3260_800x600.jpg   Tony Orlando concert shots-img_3475_800x600.jpg  
    --
    Dale

Re: Tony Orlando concert shots

One more, guys, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tony Orlando concert shots-img_3179_640x480.jpg  
    --
    Dale

The only person I recognize in these shots is Tony Orlando (man, has he changed or what?), but that doesn't matter. You have captured performance shots that show emotion and energy. Nice colors, well framed. Your client should be pleased. Give us more.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    The only person I recognize in these shots is Tony Orlando (man, has he changed or what?), but that doesn't matter. You have captured performance shots that show emotion and energy. Nice colors, well framed. Your client should be pleased. Give us more.

CF
    Thanks CF. The rest of the people were from his band - actually a good portion of his show spotlighted his band members .... all but two of them got a chance to sing quite a few times. I'd say over a quarter of his show did not have him on lead vocals. Let me see if I can dig up a couple more shots - those were the best ones I think I got though. The client was happy because it was just me shooting for my own personal use ;-)
    --
    Dale

Here's a few more shots I'm just uploading today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tony Orlando concert shots-img_3000_800x600.jpg   Tony Orlando concert shots-img_3116_640x480.jpg   Tony Orlando concert shots-img_3312_640x480.jpg   Tony Orlando concert shots-img_3353_800x600.jpg  
    --
    Dale

Dale,

Like the lastest posts also. You have captured the performances well. Many years ago, 20+, I shot photos of a Maynard Ferguson concert. The lighting of stage performance is so unique that the results are unlike any other "people" photos. Can be hard to do but lots of fun; you did well in my opinion.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    Dale,

Like the lastest posts also. You have captured the performances well. Many years ago, 20+, I shot photos of a Maynard Ferguson concert. The lighting of stage performance is so unique that the results are unlike any other "people" photos. Can be hard to do but lots of fun; you did well in my opinion.

CF
    Hey CF, thanks man.

For me it's definitely hard, I dunno how the pros do it - I have a hard enough time trying to fiddle around with 3 things, setting the aperture, the ISO and sometimes fooling with the exposure compensation, in order to get some acceptable shots - never mind trying to figure out how to meter the situation or going into manual mode etc.

It's so much fun that concert photography has been an addiction for the last few years for me.
    --
    Dale

I like the last ones the best, they have a little more "life" to them the first couple almost look staged/posed. Overall though very nice shots .

Quote Originally Posted by splats
    I like the last ones the best, they have a little more "life" to them the first couple almost look staged/posed. Overall though very nice shots .
    Thanks splats ... you could say a couple of the first batch looks staged, the standard guitar solo poses and the keyboard player must have noticed my camera and seemed to be looking straight at me
    --
    Dale

The photographer cowgirl in skate shoes euphoria's Avatar

Great shots, you caught the expressions very well and I like the darkness of the background, it makes the people stand out more.

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

Quote Originally Posted by euphoria
    Great shots, you caught the expressions very well and I like the darkness of the background, it makes the people stand out more.
    Thanks euphoria. The darkening of the background wasn't a conscious effort, it never is but I notice it in a lot of my shots ....it definitely wasn't that dark to my eye when I was watching the concert I'm sure.
    --
    Dale

Thread Information