Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: From Today

From Today

I photographed this fell atoday with a D70 and Sigma 50-500 at 500mm and f/8 and 1/200 spot-metered on the bird. It blows out everything else, but it's the only way I've found to get detail in a black bird backlit in bright sun. Anyway, comments and critiques appreciated.

Re: From Today

Its realy madening when you get such a good pose and the lighting is in the wrong position. I have had this happen to me so many times , i have lost count . Not much you can do here without loosing some sharpness ,maybe a person could PS some clouds in i guess.

BTW you did not mention what kind of bird it is , im guessing a Coragyps Atratus . AKA Black Vulture .

Re: From Today

You know, I don't mind the background too much, since it's just stark white. If there were obvious objects in the background (trees, etc.) then it might not look right, but as it is you have a contrast between the black bird and the white backing. The detail in the bird's body and in the tree branch are really nice. You managed to turn a normally repulsive bird (to me, at least!) into something lovely.
    Emily

Thread Information