Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Time for an evening snack

I spotted this guy eating a large dead fish last Saturday night.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Frequent Lurker

Re: Time for an evening snack

Quote Originally Posted by dadas115

Greg

Greg,

I was actually starting to get hungry until I saw this photo!!

Techincally I think this shot is good. Nice sharp photo with nicely blurred background.

I think some fill flash might have helped separate the subject from the background.

I think it is an intersting photo, my question is though could it have been great? Would a different angle or cropping added more interest. Would waiting for the bird to do something with the fish added interest? Would black and white work better since it is already somewhat monochrome?

Don't know if this helps, just thinking out loud!

SJ

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by dadas115

Greg

Hello Greg,

I like the bluish color cast of your picture. Actually, the color rendering of the bird seems especially good to me.

regards

Seb

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello Greg,

I like the bluish color cast of your picture. Actually, the color rendering of the bird seems especially good to me.

regards

Seb
    I beg to differ! The blueish cast really does not work for me. My personal taste!

Cheers,

Steph.

Nice capture. The first thing I noticed was the bluish cast as well but many of my late evening shots show the same color tone qualities - almost what it looks like at certain times just after the sun has gone down.

I've seen the gulls picking on dead fish, just as this one, when I visit Va. Beach. Where do you live that all this wildlife is wandering around waiting for you to stalk them and take their pictures?

Tuna

Thanks for your comment. The color of this photo is what I really liked the most about the picture and why I selected this one. I took literally hundreds of pictures of this bird eating this fish. The bluish cast is what made this one stand out to me. I think the WB was a little off here but I think it was a really good thing in this case.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello Greg,

regards

Seb

This picture was taken after the sun had set in low light with a nice overcast sky. One thing that I really like about the fish is its teeth. The expression on its face really struck me and was why I started taking pictures of it. I live in the Houston, TX area and all these shots are from the area between Houston and Galveston, TX.

Thanks,

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna
    Nice capture. The first thing I noticed was the bluish cast as well but many of my late evening shots show the same color tone qualities - almost what it looks like at certain times just after the sun has gone down.

I've seen the gulls picking on dead fish, just as this one, when I visit Va. Beach. Where do you live that all this wildlife is wandering around waiting for you to stalk them and take their pictures?

Tuna

Thread Information