Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Three portraits

Three portraits

I have here three portraits I would like honest opinions on, I really really want you to look at them and tell me what you think please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three portraits-small.jpg   Three portraits-small2.jpg   Three portraits-small3.jpg  

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Re: Three portraits

I like one and three. The first one could use to be wider left and right and three might benefit from a 40% desaturation of the background so the subject won't be competing with the BG. All in all nice shooting.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Agree, nice but she doesn't stand out enough from the background in 1 and 3. First could use shallow depth of field to soften the trees; in both cases her hair blend right into the dark color in back of it. I personally like the 2nd best as a photo, though I think my eye is drawn too much by the blue of her jeans.

n8

I've noticed that your recent uploads have all looked quite soft. If they look sharp on your monitor, then it may just be something in your exporting/uploading process. If that's not the case, there may be some extra investigation needed.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

I shot this in RAW mode today, I normally shoot in JPEG. Does this image look sharper to you.

CatRawconversion

How can I be lost

GB1

Tyson -

Shooting these type shots is art, but there's always little things I think one can do to make them incrementally better. I like the last one the best because she's placed so well in the frame and the background seems to be so well lit. The side shadow isn't ideal but you will get that from a single strobe with small head.

The lighting is sort of daring in # 2, but she's not really dressed or posing in a daring fashion. Her shirt's OK but her shoes don't look like woods footwear and her jeans really look too clean and uncomfortable to be wearing in the sticks: she should really be wearing jeans with holes in them (or something to that effect!). They're also a tad dark and absorb too much of the light making them fade into the background.

Model shoots are maybe half photography and half model look and preparation, but I've found that we photographers tend to concentrate so much on the photography end that we don't do enough prep and planning for the subject: the model. Outfit, make up, theme, and so on are all so important. I'll be learning it for the next 40 years.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I agree, 1 and 3. #2 looks like a simple snapshot to me.

Thank you, for the input it helps a lot.

How can I be lost

n8

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson L. Sparks View Post
    I shot this in RAW mode today, I normally shoot in JPEG. Does this image look sharper to you.

CatRawconversion
    That cat is razor sharp here. I would actually expect a JPEG to be sharper than a RAW as the former is sharpened in camera, while the latter is not. So...we know it's not your upload process. Also, seeing that you have that 2.8 at your disposal, I would suggest give it a whirl in shots like this. The shallow dof can become a really good, albeit touchy friend, and it may also save you from setting up that flash.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Thread Information