Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Question Tending the nest

Not sure which version works the best. Opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tending the nest-tending_the_nest1120adj.jpg   Tending the nest-tending_the_nest1123.jpg   Tending the nest-tending_the_nest1125.jpg  

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Re: Tending the nest

Hi Jet', The first one without a doubt.I like the profile of the chicks,extra splash of yellow and how mom is cautiously stepping around the youngsters.
    Nice catch.

Rick

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

Also another vote towards the first one.
    Seams flawless
    Feel Free to edit my photos, However please explain what you did to them.

GB1

I like the chicks in the first one but the angle of the bird and the exposure in the second. Cut and paste time?

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I was thinking the same as GB1. I like that you can see the chicks' bill in #1, rather than just a pile of fluffy white feathers. But the lighting and the adult's pose are better in #2.

edit: I noticed #1 is softer, but the focus looks the same as #2 and #3. Camera shake... not sharpened as much?
    "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lang

flickr

Personally I like the first the best, but it's soft - maybe too soft to save. It's been sharpened a lot already. GB might have the answer, simply transplanting the chicks/nest into # 2 or 3

I like the 3rd one the best. I think the first might be a bit soft. I like the beak in the 3rd one also. oh, i see, the chicks aren't as visible in #3. Yeah, i think a mix between 1 and 3 might be best. lovely bird though!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

The detail in the feathering of the bird is wonderful in the third shot and had the family lifted their heads up for you then this would be the best shot.
    However all three give a very a lovely view of what we would normally only see in magazines and nature TV.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

trigger happy geriatric.

Number 1 for me. I really like it. The upstretched beaks of the chicks makes it I think.

I don't care if it is a little soft, and it don't look soft to me, but it's a very nice shot.

Dave

Took a shot at merging 1 & 3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tending the nest-tending_the_nest1125merged.jpg  

This one is excellent. Very nice job on the edit. :thumbsup:

The one thing that I noticed is that this one bit of feathers (circled) looks like it was left over from the third shot. Just looked odd to me...

edit: there is also a small amount of green on the neck of the right hand bird that doesn't look like it should be there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lang

flickr

I think the combination works. Also very good eye cm_mb, that was hard to catch, but since u pointed it out, i can see it clearly now.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by cm_mtb
    This one is excellent. Very nice job on the edit. :thumbsup:

The one thing that I noticed is that this one bit of feathers (circled) looks like it was left over from the third shot. Just looked odd to me...

edit: there is also a small amount of green on the neck of the right hand bird that doesn't look like it should be there.
    BUSTED on the third chick appearing out of thin air, couldn't get the background to match up seamlessly and that was the best side to hide it (due to the twigs at left and below) :blush2:

The green should indeed be there, it's part of the bird

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim

The green should indeed be there, it's part of the bird
    Ah... it was in the first shot. I didn't compare it to the original before I commented on that. :blush2:

flickr

GB1

Great edit. No one would catch it if we didn't see the ORIG !!!
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information