Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Sunsets - Tahiti

Since we seem to have a few sunset threads going on currently, I thought I'd post a few that I took on a Tahiti cruise - especially since I'm going back there tomorrow....

Please make comments and suggestions - I'll make sure I look at this when I get back.

The first picture was sunset on the way over from Los Angeles taken thru an airplane window. There is a bit of ice on the window, hence some of the blur and funny shapes. And of course the angles I could take were quite limited...no moving around to get the sun situated in the right place Still every time I see this picture it evokes the sense of flying away to something....a new beginning, a foreign country, a place away from where I'm at....

The second picture is taken on the ship of a plain old sunset. But those two clouds... that adds some interest. And then what's up with that water?

The third picture is a classic (to me at least) sunset with a sailboat photo. The cloud formations are neat, but it makes it hard to tell that the dark mass on the right, on the horizon, is an island. I guess I broke the 1/3 rules here with the ocean going right across the middle.

The fourth picture is a lucky, get-it-while-you-can, shot as our ship passed a coastal freighter with the sun going down behind it. I like it....but, heck, how could websailor not like sailing pictures?

I don't think I did any cropping on these pictures, though it's possible. If I did, it wasn't anything major. I know I have not altered the colors, done any Photoshopping, etc on them.

Comments and helpful hints welcome! These being the 2nd photo(s) I've posted here, I'm sure there are lots of things I can improve upon! Be kind to the newbie, but tell me how to take better sunset pictures......that's why I'm here in the critique section after all!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunsets - Tahiti-01small_sunset-from_airplane.jpg   Sunsets - Tahiti-25small_sunset_at_sea.jpg   Sunsets - Tahiti-26small_sunset_n_sailboat.jpg   Sunsets - Tahiti-23small_ship_at_sunset.jpg  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    A few more photos - http://www.websailor.org

Re: Sunsets - Tahiti

websailor, I'm wishing I was on my way to where your headed so i can leave this Urban Grind behind. . . .
    Actually, I like the last one, on the bottom, out of the four. It interests me because of the stark silhouetted shape of the vessel against the warm colored sky. I would have liked it more had you tilted the camera down, or up, so as to get the horizon away from the center of the frame.Also a looser crop around the vessel may help as well. Still a good image.
    BTW, when posting on the critique forum, it's easier for us all if you post just one picture per thread, unless it is an alternate version of the same picture,etc.
    Looking forward to seeing more when you get back.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

GB1

Re: Sunsets - Tahiti

I vote for # 2. They look like mushroom clouds. I guess the plane outraced the detonation wave.

I think with the exception of # 1 that with a little cropping and clean up that the others can be considered successful. The first one, I bet Pratt and Whitney or GE or ? would love the shot of their turbofan in action

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information