Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Sunset peak view

24mm
    F14
    1/500th
    Sunset peak view-img_2793.jpg

Re: Sunset peak view

The main problem I have with this image is the bottom third being almost solid black I think there should be at least a hint of what lays beneath the horizon even just a few highlighted ridge tops would do to bring some interest to this area.
    The other thing I was wondering about was, did you desaturate the Reds a bit ? I have never seen a Utah sunset first hand ( yet ) so I can only compare with sunsets here and they often have a purplish tinge.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Yeah, hard to make typical sunset shots interesting. ... as if I would know. But absent tone mapping or layer blending, it is hard to make the foreground show up. Neutral density filter would help, but even that would be hard pressed to resolve foreground with this dynamic range.

@hminx.. No de-saturization done at all. This was taken last summer with a huge fire so the color is from the haze of the smoke. I did just notice a few things about the photo. I am going to have to check to see if this one was edited or not. I might have rendered the unedited one and attached it.

There appears to be a spot at 12 o'clock above the cloud bank right above the sun. It that in the sky or something on the lense. It is a bit of a distraction IMO.

I'd like to see either more sky or more of the foreground, but the it's kind of in the middle right now which doesn't make it too interesting.

Thread Information