Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Sunflower Eye

Sunflower Eye

I tried to make something happen with a subject the has had many interpretations.

Sunflower Eye-sunflower.jpg

GB1

Re: Sunflower Eye

This one's an inherently good subject Arne. There's something about the eye that makes it interesting: I think it's a swirl. What I'm unsure about is how little negative space the eye has. Does anyone else think it's a bit cramped? At the same time I think you need to show the eye BIG for it to be most effective. What a dilemma. Nice bright color.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I do like your treatment of this sunflower. You've got the texture and colour of the petals spot on and I like the slight softness of them. I aslo like the fact that the eye is slightly off centre, although, as GB1 suggests, it's a bit busy. Would increasing the contrast of the eye give a bit more punch to the spaces between the seeds improve the "negative space" GB1 talks about. Not sure, but do like as is

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    This one's an inherently good subject Arne. There's something about the eye that makes it interesting: I think it's a swirl. What I'm unsure about is how little negative space the eye has. Does anyone else think it's a bit cramped? At the same time I think you need to show the eye BIG for it to be most effective. What a dilemma. Nice bright color.
    I see what you mean about it being cramped, Greg. But it's not bothering me a bit. I don't think it would hurt for it to be a little looser, but I don't think it's necessary.

Arne - I'm interested in the post-processing you did on this. Am I wrong or do I detect a bit of Orton Effect? Whatever you did, I think it works great here. I like the subtle satiny feel of the whole thing. As far as improving it, the only thing I can think of is to have a nice fat bee sitting in there, somewhere
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Congratulations on the featured photo...Fantastic!

Rick

Thread Information