Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suicidal

Suicidal

a friend lost one of his close family members a few weeks ago. hes seriously thinking about committing suicide. anyway. i was at his place a few days ago, like you can see, hes still affected by the loss of his family member. i managed to take the bullets away from him a few days after i heard what he was trying to do.

i tried to calm him down, but he was just sitting there with the gun in his mouth, pulling the trigger. i was allowed to take a few pictures of him and i also got his "yes" to post it.

i havent heard from him in a few days, i hope everything is ok....

the hard shadow from the nose kinda ruins it, but i think its good documentation

Re: Suicidal

Instead of playing with cameras and toys I feel you and your friends time would have been better served by seeking advice and counselling.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Although I appreciate and encourage all art (including photography and music) that takes risks and delves into controversial topics, I don't agree with the fact that this photograph was even taken. As it was said in the previous comment, your time would have been better spent getting help. This is also assuming that your friend was indeed suicidal, and not just posing for the picture...

I'm incredibly disgusted by the fact you ACTUALLY took pictures of this.

I second that. Every photographer has to have standards in which they live by and take photos by, and you make it obvious that your standards are not very high. Instead of taking pictures of him trying to kill himself, why didn't you take the gun away from him, and get him the help he needs? I am against censoring people, because we all have rights gauranteed by the first amendment. I do wish you would have asked a moderator first, and put more of a disclaimer in your title.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

As illustrated here, some people have no understanding of countries and cultures other than their own, and absolutely no comprehension of depression and suicide.

Despite the well meaning but less than helpful comments, and the less than perfect lighting technique, it is nevertheless an extremely effective photo depicting the low of depression, the anguish and the desire to end it all. This photo has genuine impact.

Outstanding work!

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Outstanding work!

There has to be a point when one has to put the camera down and to quit looking through the viewfinder, and help their friend who is clearly anguishing over a family members death. I know I didn't want a camera my face when the same thing happeneded to me. This person clearly has problems with coping and they need to get the help they need. It comes down to photo ethics, and even though the photographer for the yes from his friend, it seems like he would maybe want to respect his friends privacy when he going through such a traumatic experience.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

That was no time for a photo. I can't even imagine grabbing my camera and shooting a scene like this when my friend has thoughts of killing himself and is extremely depressed. If you were a journalist covering a sad event that would be one thing but It's YOUR friend and YOU were at his place (I'm assuming to calm him down). Asking him to pose for a photo at that stage of depression ISN'T being HELPFUL to YOUR FRIEND.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

If you are sincere and your friend is indeed wanting to kill himself, I would suggest you have an ethical responsibility to get him help. He his clearly displaying the advanced stages of suicidal contemplation. If you are in Norway, please all 815-33-300. If you are in the US, please call 1-800-273-TALK or better yet have your friend do it. Suicide SHOULD NOT be taken lightly. Please seek help for him.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Well, by the reaction of everyone including myself, this is a very strong image. It hits on a very emotional level, as you can tell by the responses. All tones, composition, style and what not fly out the window with this much emotional impact.

IF? this is your FRIEND...it seems you made a poor choice of when to take a photo. Your eye is good...your heart is stone cold...not something I would be proud of.
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Perhaps this photo would have been more acceptable had your friend asked you to photograph him in retrospect, after surviving the loss, to depict the pain and desperation he went through. However, even though such a shot has incredible impact, IMO, suicide is not something to be marveled at.
    Meg

OK OK So we all agree this photo was taken at a very bad time, but what is a good time to take a photo? Sometimes we just aim and shoot, as photographers we all have that moment of 'to shoot or not to shoot". It can happen to any of us. Do I agree with the photo? NO.
    Check out my new Digital Photo Website:
    http://www.geocities.com/stpetedigital/index.htm

if you have to ask whether or not to take the photo then it is probably best to keep your finger off the shutter release.
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    As illustrated here, some people have no understanding of countries and cultures other than their own, and absolutely no comprehension of depression and suicide.

Despite the well meaning but less than helpful comments, and the less than perfect lighting technique, it is nevertheless an extremely effective photo depicting the low of depression, the anguish and the desire to end it all. This photo has genuine impact.

Outstanding work!

Ronnoco
    Ronnoco
    You are obviously the only person in the entire world that understands suicide.
    This has nothing to do with understanding of other cultures or comprehension of depression.
    If people choose to dislike something, please don't insult them for that. Nobody here has insulted you for your opinions and bad manners.
    You are outstanding in your own field, so could you close the gate and stay in it.
    How about a photograph from you?

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarboy
    Although I appreciate and encourage all art (including photography and music) that takes risks and delves into controversial topics, I don't agree with the fact that this photograph was even taken. As it was said in the previous comment, your time would have been better spent getting help. This is also assuming that your friend was indeed suicidal, and not just posing for the picture...
    Personally I am pretty confident that the subject and the person with the camera were both posing and attention seeking in this instance.

Pentax Forum Moderator

I certainly hope this was just a staged shot. However, I was always taught to never point a gun at anything unless you intend to kill it. The main reason for this is because of accidental discharges. Even under the most stringent scrutiny, accidents happen. Take for example Brandon Lee (son of Bruce Lee). Killed on the set by a prop gun. And he was not the first to die accidentally and definitely not the last.
    We've discussed on here before, how far is too far. This is one that has overstepped the bounds of art and possibly humanity. In response to Ronnoco, I've lived in many societies and am very accepting of most things. However, just because something is o.k. in a society, doesn't make it right. We all have our beliefs, but there needs to be a line drawn that should not be crossed.
    Oh well...just my 2 cents...
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

There was a picture posted here not long ago, that was not as graphic, but got similar responses. At least that one was admittedly posed.

Personally I find the remarks posted as a description of the picture to be what's appalling here. So fine, an "opportunity" was seen and taken. Yippee...the photo has some impact. But you haven't heard from your friend in a few days, you know he's suicidal, and you "hope he's okay"??

Alrighty then.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I for one am glad to see all of these comments.
    But what about the aesthetic issues of this photograph?
    Are there any? What are they?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I for one am glad to see all of these comments.
    But what about the aesthetic issues of this photograph?
    Are there any? What are they?
    Brian

I would have commented more on the photo itself, but honestly I had a hard time looking at it long enough to form an opinion other than what I posted. I'm not trying to be a shmuck by saying that, but I just couldn't look at it as I would other photos. Sorry.

Emily

Hello everybody. I've been trolling around here for a while and while this is probably NOT the best thread to make my first post, but here goes anyways.
    First off, I think this is a staged photo. That being said, the color doesn't seem to work for me. If it was black and white and maybe a tad brighter it might look 'better'.
    However, if this is not a posed photo, you've got some serious issues. A "friend" does not take pictures of a friend with a pistol in his or her mouth. PERIOD. A friend finds help for a friend.

As for Ronnoco...maybe a month in a cannibal tribe might alter your perception of what is acceptible from other cultures. I mean if you're fine with them eating you, then problem solved.

Sorry if I come off harsh, but suicide is not something that I am a fan of. Suicide as a way out of your problems is a copout.

to get some things straight.

some of you got it. the photo is staged. i made up the story to get some reactions about the photo. instead i got 20 comments on how bad friend i was and other things about suicide. i can admit that the story was a bit harsh, maybe a bit to realistic for many. but the photo got tons of reactions and i think the photo woke some feelings in many of you. thats exactly the purpose of a good photo.

anyway, if the photo offended anyone; im sorry for not leaving a warning in the topic.
    maybe anyone have something else to say now that you know its not "real".

This is a tragic image of your friend but no more tragic than many of the images i've seen in magazines and books on wars. This image effects me just like the Viet Nam Officer blowing the brains out of a man almost naked or pictures of starving children or an Israeli tank bulldozing a West Bank home in Palestine or the Nazi's consentration camps photos from WWII.

Human kind has a lot of problems and it's easy to judge people but I think what may be needed is some human intervention. I hope you can help your friend before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Galningen
    to get some things straight.

some of you got it. the photo is staged. i made up the story to get some reactions about the photo. instead i got 20 comments on how bad friend i was and other things about suicide. i can admit that the story was a bit harsh, maybe a bit to realistic for many. but the photo got tons of reactions and i think the photo woke some feelings in many of you. thats exactly the purpose of a good photo.

anyway, if the photo offended anyone; im sorry for not leaving a warning in the topic.
    maybe anyone have something else to say now that you know its not "real".
    For starters, if you have to make up a story to get the reaction, then the photo hasn't done it...your story has. If this WAS real, yes, I would think you were a pretty lousy friend. Sorry if that comes off as harsh too, but I know from the prior thread that many have had too close experience with the subject matter to be emotionally manipulated because you wanted a reaction.

As for the photo...sorry, but I still can't look at it and give you a valid critique.

I agree with Julsoph, if you have to make up a story then your photo hasn't worked, but if you want a critique not that we got all the other nasty and lousy things out of the way then here goes.

Your lighting is off. I don;t know what you were using to light your subject, but it doesn't really work. You only see half the subjects face, and it looks like you used a one light setup at about a 45 degree (also known as a Rembrandt light set up or a one light). If you are going to light it, you might want to try adding a fill light further away from your main light and on the other side of the subject. A hair light would help bring out some more details such as the top of the head.

Black and white would have definitly helped but not much. Even staged this is a horrible shot. You should never play with guns even if they are unloaded. It sends the wrong message and is dangerous. I don't discredit your photographic abilities just on your judgement. I don't think this is the reaction you were looking before, but you have know that in the society we live in, whwn you post a photo an staged suicide you are going to get strong responses. You don't know the people on this board any more than I do, but some these people could have had close ties with people who attempt or are successful in suicide.

From a person who battles with depression all I can say is get your friend some help, and offer to go with him. Its ok to ask for help, I know it saved my life and I hope and pray that your friend is ok.

Zack
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

Is it staged? For all we know you could be lying just to cover up the fact that you're a bastard. See how lying works?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information