Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stop Global Warming

This was the first time I have been out at night with my new E500, it was "COOOOOLD".
    I have also been wanting to take a picture of this plant for sometime.
    Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stop Global Warming-planteuharlee-04as.jpg  
    Last edited by Greg McCary; 01-28-2007 at 06:03 PM.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Stop Global Warming

kind of an ugly place the image has enough going for it to straighten the chimney i think.. its exposed nicely and the overall colour balance is nice.. i think its suggests pollution rather than warming thow.. i think warming is too mild a term.. he he

trog

ISO? F-stop? Shutter speed?
    Louis An Photography

--Canon Rebel XTi
    --18-55 mm EF
    --75-300 mm EF
    --10-17 mm fisheye
    --Adobe Photoshop CS3
    --Photomatix Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Has He Lost His Mind?
    ISO? F-stop? Shutter speed?
    ISO 400, Aperature was @ 6.3 but I am not sure of the speed. I bracketted several shots.
    Greg
    Last edited by Greg McCary; 01-28-2007 at 01:39 PM.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I like how it's dark, but I like taking night shots at higher f-stops, cause I always carry around a tripod. Because of the "star" effect of the lights.
    Louis An Photography

--Canon Rebel XTi
    --18-55 mm EF
    --75-300 mm EF
    --10-17 mm fisheye
    --Adobe Photoshop CS3
    --Photomatix Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Has He Lost His Mind?
    I like how it's dark, but I like taking night shots at higher f-stops, cause I always carry around a tripod. Because of the "star" effect of the lights.
    I really wasn't looking for the star effect on this one but I will post a picture where I was practicing with different aperatures, on an old bridge. I agree the star effect is nice sometimes..
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

New York State Of Mind. J-Dogg Productions's Avatar

i like the colors but that stop sign is kind of distracting me i would clone it out

jay
    J.Curreri

i couldnt resist it.. stop bent chimneys.. he he

trog

Quote Originally Posted by trog100
    i couldnt resist it.. stop bent chimneys.. he he

trog
    You Da Man. What did you do????
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

he he he..

take a carefull selection of the chimney.. tight as u can at the right side but going to the left hand edge of the frame.. tight near the top..

the bottom cuts the top of the small building.. cut out the selction.. paste the selection as a new image give it a 3 degree tilt to the left and carefully past it back in the orignal..

this leaves a wedge shaped gap to the right of the chimney.. clone in some new sky to fill the gap..

the art is in getting the cut right.. it took about ten minutes to do that one..

if the fullsize image is any good email it me and i will do it for u..

trog

Greg, this image is ok, but I think a looser crop would give it a little more room to "breathe". This looks like a horrible place to have to go to work at. Good subject and capture, Greg
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Gary,
    There were distractions left and right, so that's why the crop maybe a little tight, but I agree with you.
    Jay,
    I left the stop sign in on purpose, Part of the Stop Global Wrming message, but I guess it didn't work. Maybe it should go.
    Trog, Thanks for the striighteniing but I need your e-mail address. I wonder if the leaning is lens distortion?

Sony a99/a7R

Please do not remove the stop sign....... unless you plan on changing the title as well... i did get the message and was surprised that the stop sign was considered a distraction...i mean at first i was wondering if it was the tittle of the image or simply a message, but when i saw the stop sign, i knew it was the title....

I did try fixing the distortion from the lens, but it would affect the rest.... maybe i did not try hard enough anyway if you wanna give it a go, you can find it in Filters>Distort>Lens Correction (in Photoshop )

I am not so sure there is a different method to fix this one other than cut and paste... which could be done better by the way.....

i like the shot!
    Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Thanks, Marc, I'll give the straighting a try. I got a good book on PS I'll look in it and see what I can do. I am also glad you got the message. I have a wider version of the picture, but it will mean taking out a couple of distractions, that may work better, when I finish it I will repost. Thanks for your commennts..
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

"which could be done better by the way"

anything could be done better.. but i did take a little care with that one..

it would pass muster seen 100%.. u dont think i would dare do something like that i wasnt sure of with u lot ready to pounce on it do ya.. he he he he

its perspective i think more than lens distortion but it does totally wreck what is otherwise a very dramatic picture..

my email is trog@cavecom.com greg if u want the original done similar..

there is no easy way of putting it right either.. its just one single part of the image that needs the alteration.. not something simple like pincushion or barrel distortion..

trog

Trog - LOL...i spent about 30 minutes trying to find something wrong with the edit and finally did...i wanted to post "which could be done better" just for fun....

Sorry about that!
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

thats cos tricks like that usually are easily detectable marcusk.. i made sure that one wasnt.. he he he..

i expected ronnoco to peek at it.. LOL..

trog

GB1

Greg - Interesting shot. The smoke makes it seems like unusual weather conditions. I think it's good, but I somehow feel that the photo would be a lot better if there were only the single smokestack, the one on the right. The second one (on the left) just seems to clutter things up, and it's curve, even in the fixed version, is distracting. Also, I feel like the action of the shot is at the bottom so perhaps you could take a few more shots at night of that area...... seems like a movie before something happens.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Hi Greg,

I just wanted to make a couple of comments...sorry if it's obvious stuff.

First, I think you should leave the stop sign. I "got it." Even with out the title, I think it works.

Second, the leaning of the stacks is due to perspective, not lens distortion. If there's any way you could move further away from the factory (the farther the better) and use a longer lens, you could minimize this.

Third, I agree with Gary's comment about needing a looser crop, but I understand about the distractions. Maybe moving further away, or getting the shot from a slightly different angle would allow you to use other objects to cover up whatever distractions you had this time.

Exposure looks good and I also find factories like this to be interesting subject matter.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusK
    i did get the message and was surprised that the stop sign was considered a distraction.
    to me it doesn't look good the whole picture is clear but that stop sign is kinda noisy when i commented i didn't really read the tittle but now i get the joke and trog how did you save that picture after you edited it you lost quality

jay
    J.Curreri

"trog how did you save that picture after you edited it you lost quality"

in a normal not overly compressed jpeg way.. u must have good eyes if u can can a difference at the size it is.. i cant.. i assume the picture is only a posting size example of the real thing.. i would need to see it at 100% before assessing its image quality but i didnt lose that much.. thow i did keep its size down just for bandwidth reasons..

it was just a semi humorous example i never viewed it as being of any real use other than that..

cant say as i noticed any curve GBI else i might have fixed that as well..

trog

Marc, I have found the pipe straightening tool. Lasso, Edit, Transform, Rotate. I am currently working on a Less thighter crop and straightening the stacks.
    Paul, Thanks I am sure glad it's not lens distortion. I have a new E500 and would be disappointed if it were. You can bet I am going back to this place, soon. The complex is huge.
    GB1, I may try the one stack picture when I return. I thought the same thing as well. It's a good idea.

Trog, Thanks for pointing out the lean, I'll post a straightened stack soon. I have figured out the steps and it is a work in progress.

Jay, I am glad you got it, but I didn't want the stop sign to be to obvious. I guess I can try and tone it down a notch or two. Thank you much for your advise. I appreciate your feedback.

Sony a99/a7R

in a normal not overly compressed jpeg way.. u must have good eyes if u can can a difference at the size it is.. i cant.. i assume the picture is only a posting size example of the real thing.. i would need to see it at 100% before assessing its image quality but i didnt lose that much.. thow i did keep its size down just for bandwidth reasons..

it was just a semi humorous example i never viewed it as being of any real use other than that..

trog
    didn't mean anything by it i was just wondering it was just the sky was a little blotchy and the building lost some detail
    J.Curreri

GB1

"trog how did you save that picture after you edited it you lost quality"

cant say as i noticed any curve GBI else i might have fixed that as well..

trog
    Trog, I guess I really meant perspective angle :idea: There's normally not much one can do about that except move back (as someone noted), or, use one of those tilt film plane cameras.

But I dont know.... PS probably has a filter that fixes that too. They do everything else it seems.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Here's an edit, I rotated the two stacks on the left 2.2deg. Cloned out some powerlines, no crop or color adjustments. I thought about taking the third stack out all together? Which is best?
    Greg

Last edited by Greg McCary; 01-29-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Sony a99/a7R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information