Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stephen - test

Stephen - test

Re: Stephen - test

this is great--nice work

Bloody excellent. Test meaning this is a work in progress?
    Looking forward to the final outcome.
    Great original work.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Thanks both.

Tom - "test" meaning preliminary shoot. I'm hoping to go back with him, shoot the same setup, and iron out the rough patches. I made some really dumb mistakes which I'm hoping not to repeat.

I would love to watch you PS an image. With that said I like the direction you are going I like the second crop maybe take a little more off of the right. He looks like Buddy Holly's great grandson. Maybe you can go with that. Get him a vintage Fender and some band mates, just a thought.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg. That's one of the things I was wondering about: how much to crop off of the right. I could probably go over a little more, but I couldn't figure out how much.

He's not a musician, funnily enough, but that would be a great theme to explore with him.

sweet PP work .

I have to say, these are really neat.
    please do not edit my photos.

I have to agree that these shots are fantastic. I assume that the closed eyes on the right is not intentional? Or maybe thats what you want?
    Anyway, they are very striking as is.

Ab. so. lute. ly. gorgeous.

love this. awesome image. very artistic. lovely finish and execution. love your style man. good job.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Good lighting and detail.

While the lightning and processing is superb

the subject is very odd, is this acted ?

Thanks.

The reason he looks odd in the left image is because I had to MPH (Mr. Potato Head) things a little to remove the glare/reflections in his glasses (subject's left). When I shoot him again, that's going to be a big concern. Anyone with any tips on how to prevent or remove environmental reflections, please come forward with the 411. I daresay that those reflections ****ed up the whole shoot. Nothing like looking through a hundred plus frames trying to pick out one that isn't marred by grass over an eyeball.

I actually sort of like the image on the right, but does the partially closed eye kill it? It wasn't intentional, but I was thinking that it had a more spontaneous feel that way, especially when coupled with another image.

I have no problem with the eye half closed. Two wide open, one half open; good. One mouth open one mouth closed. Good.
    Any chance of seeing the bottom of the dickie bow ?
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton
    Thanks.

The reason he looks odd in the left image is because I had to MPH (Mr. Potato Head) things a little to remove the glare/reflections in his glasses (subject's left). When I shoot him again, that's going to be a big concern. Anyone with any tips on how to prevent or remove environmental reflections, please come forward with the 411. I daresay that those reflections ****ed up the whole shoot. Nothing like looking through a hundred plus frames trying to pick out one that isn't marred by grass over an eyeball.

I actually sort of like the image on the right, but does the partially closed eye kill it? It wasn't intentional, but I was thinking that it had a more spontaneous feel that way, especially when coupled with another image.
    easiest way to avoid eyeglass reflection is to move or let the subject turn their head a bit...requires a lot of test shots though until you get it.

Thx Phil. Problem here is that I knew I wanted a specific look lightingwise and that I wanted him to be facing straight on. Tough situation. Could I have used flags/gobos in certain places to minimize glare? I have so much to learn about lighting.

Tom - Yeah, I think so. It's all in there in the original shot.

NSSA/AIPS

Quote Originally Posted by PhilF
    easiest way to avoid eyeglass reflection is to move or let the subject turn their head a bit...requires a lot of test shots though until you get it.
    Another option which depends on if he needs the glasses to see is to use frames with no lenses. Subject could wear contacts for vision and the glasses as "props". Otherwise yes indeed it requires a bunch of testing then the subject has to remember exactly which way to orient tot he lights each and every shot. It's kind of limiting. Perhaps a polarizer might cut the reflections as well, but then you need to deal with the -2 ev which might add too many new issues to be practical or this shoot.
    It's not about the camera....

beautiful lighting! kudos!

GB1

Dray -

It definitely has some things going for it. The model's outfit, the lighting, and the detail in general (especially on the right side image with his teeth shown).

As for what's not super, I am a little bothered by the composition in both of them, the left side's clipping of his right-side shoulder and hair too close to the top of the frame, and the right's 2/3rds clipping (cutting the bow tie is especially awkward). Not sure if he's closing his eyes in the right side image, and also why it's so dark on his left side. I can't decide if that setting is right for the shot, like, why does he dress like that to stand in what appears from the little we see to be a beat up building? Things like this can add to a shot, as mystery is good. The danger is that it instead of looking like it was done to entice the viewer, it can look ad hoc. These shots appear to be half way between.

I would agree that this fellow makes a good model. Shoot em again!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for the detailed feedback, GB.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I can't decide if that setting is right for the shot, like, why does he dress like that to stand in what appears from the little we see to be a beat up building? Things like this can add to a shot, as mystery is good. The danger is that it instead of looking like it was done to entice the viewer, it can look ad hoc. These shots appear to be half way between.
    What kind of setting would you suggest?

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton
    Thanks for the detailed feedback, GB.

What kind of setting would you suggest?
    Possibilities:

A coffee shop
    A study with a book case behind him (the bookcase being somewhat dark).
    An art gallery
    Standing in front of a performing arts theater.
    With a cityscape behind him.

Granted these are mostly hard to do backgrounds, requiring location setups (except for the study). Just something that supplements ..

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Nice photos!
    Nice colors and composition!

Would you have the original photo shot before any processing in order to understand how much processing was done?

Love it! I think it's fantastic. There are some interesting critiques posted here that I don't happen to agree with, but I do agree that the left eye in the left image looks funky, though I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to fix. That, and the white speck on the glasses frame in the right image needs to go... but beyond that, I wouldn't change a thing. Crisp, professional, and hip/soulful look, IMO. I could see this diptych in any number of commercial applications.
    Last edited by BenWA; 09-20-2010 at 12:22 PM.

I'll keep those settings in mind. Thanks, G.

Thanks for the feedback BenWa. Eye might be tricky, but I'll see what I can do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information