Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Seb

Some more twins...

Comments are welcome.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:45 PM.

MB1

Re: Some more twins...

A nice enough photograph although it could a bit more light down by their legs (only a bit though to bring the details up).

For the pose-I think they are sitting just a bit too far apart. It looks like the twin on the left is sneaking a peakand the twin with the computer is leaning away from her sister. I think you are trying to show twins happily sharing something on the computer and I don't quite see that in this image.

Seb, I like it. I think it came off well. There are a few things that might improve. The lighting as MB1 mentioned. Having a light behind you shining towrds them should help.I think also the white frame sneaking in from the top right side could be taken out for a smoother clean look.. I like the colors alot. I think the pose is fine, but perhaps sitting closer would be more effective. Good work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Very good... and I do not see ny hint of a seam. Was this a vertical split, or did you try some gerrymandering?
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

You know how irritating it is to have one's self looking over one's own shoulder?

Great shot, I love the subtle tilt of the lampshade.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Seb

thanks guys.

MB1: actually, sneaking over was my basic idea here but I welcome your view. I should be able to dodge the lower part of the frame. I'll post an alternate edit later on.

Gary: I tried more light sources behind me (casual home lamps) and it quickly created shadows on the back wall. I'd probably need softboxes or something like that. Eventually!!

Rocket Scientist: I didn't splited photographs in half this time. I just stacked one photoghaph on the other (both on their own layer quite obviously) and erased the part of the top layer that was hidding the model on the other layer. Then, a slight brightness adjustment (exposure lock doesn't seem perfectly dead on with my D70...), I flatened and voilà....

Mr Yuck: It is quite annoying indeed!! lol

regards

Seb

Seb

I dodged the darker area in front of the couch. Let me know how you guys feel about it.

thanks

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:45 PM.

I find it too stiff and posed and would like to see more expression on the girl's_girls' faces.

Ronnoco

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    I find it too stiff and posed and would like to see more expression on the girl's_girls' faces.

Ronnoco
    Thanks Ron. I wanted a serious "at work" kind of look but I recognize that their posture is a little stiff.

Seb

Seb,

I feel that your work of late has been really great. I struggle with PS thus have no idea how you created these images. Great job, nice work, I'm sure you are having an enjoyable time doing it also.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    Seb,

I feel that your work of late has been really great. I struggle with PS thus have no idea how you created these images. Great job, nice work, I'm sure you are having an enjoyable time doing it also.

CF
    Thanks CF. Actually, I summed up the approach to Rocket Scientist earlier in this thread but I'll explain in details. Simply put you want to shoot the same person two times (unless you have real twins to work with, which has yet to happen to me!!!). Setup your camera on a tripod to make sure that it will be perfectly still. Shoot the scene with the model on one side and then shoot a second frame with the model on the other side. Use the exposure lock function of your camera if you have it to make sure that the rendition of the two frames will be as even as possible. Then, you can decide to cut both pictures and to join the two "good" parts together as I have previously done. It's easy but it can oftenly result in a visible seam betwen the two parts as the lighting and the shadows may not be quite the same betwen both shots. Another way (that I have used here) was to open both pictures, to copy one of them and to paste it over the other. By doing so, each picture will be on its own layer in Photoshop so you just need to erase the area of the top layer that hide the model that is on the under layer. You can erase a little wider than the model and some trial and error may be necessary to get the shadows right. Then you can fine tune the luminosity and contrast on one of the layer to make sure that both twins looks the same exposure wise and you flaten the image in order to have the end product on one single layer.

Seb

I like it, very nice after the adjustments but i will still agree with Gary the white frame at the top would be better left out... As for the stiffness, I guess it aint easy to fake peaking on top of your own shoulder when you are not there...I've done my share of acting, and fearing to cover the previous spot, you take some extra distance.....hehehe....

Other than stiff and frame, this is a great shot...great Work...

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

the girl holding the computer looks plenty natural to me, but the other looks very stiff in the face and the legs...just my thoughts :idea:
    anyways, i love the shot (also like the tilt of the lampshade)

maybe even try pointing the computer more towards the other so it doesent look so much like she is spying on her sister

Nice idea on the layering Seb, I find the lighting great again. As for the pose and expressions I feel they are fine. And that being siblings the space beetween them is probably normal. I agree that the frame on the upper left might need to be cloned out, but that's my only issue with the shot. Good work again...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Well, now... if you're going to use layering, one picture on top of the other, maybe for an encore you could actually get the "twins" overlapping... that could be tricky...
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

New York State Of Mind. J-Dogg Productions's Avatar

cool i like it. i alawys wanted to try one of these but i never ahd the patients

jay
    J.Curreri

Seb

Thanks again guys:

Marc: I tried to clone out the frame but I couldn't. It appeared easy at first glance but there is something about the light gradation on the wall that prevent me to clone it well. That goes beyond my skills but I agree that the picture would be better without it.

Mwitt: Spying on the other was my goal here but I welcome your view. Thanks!

Greg: Thruthfully, I was surprised to hear so many people saying that the twins should be closer from each others. While I recognize the stiffness of the left twin the space betwen them and the fact that she appears to sneak on the computer was allright for me. Perhaps the title of the picture created expectations among viewers.

Rocket Scientist: I am not sure that this would be technically possible with this very shot. The cushions of the armchairs bent differently on each side according to the model weight and posture which makes things very tricky. It would be interesting to try it though.

Jay: Thanks

Seb

C'est la vie!

I guess now the "twins" as well as the man (you?) in your site, both now how difficult it is for actors who have to fake talking to themselves, although with new technology it did get a wee bit easier....

Love your work!
    Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i just think the wb is a tad too warm, but other than that I like it.

Reading the title I was thinking it would be more along the lines of a Coors light theme... I was wrong. However, nice image. Its like a mirror man.
    I don't want it, I just need it...to breath ...to feel ...to know I'm alive.

Thread Information