Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Be soft

Be soft

What do you think?
    Both are shot at 1.8 again.

Re: Be soft

Interesting shots. I love the colors, though the background in the first one concerns me as it goes from brown to black...I'm guessing this was shot indoors? If I had to pick one, I'd pick the first one, there's some great DOF, though the shot in a whole seems a tad soft.

Good shots however,

Jared

Thanks jared. After looking at it I sort of liked the softness with the lighting it had and all. Especially on the middle flower.

What lens did you use to take these? Was it a soft focus? Because I hope you didn't spend a lot of money of a soft focus lens when you can get a Tamron 70-300 macro lens that does the same thing unintentionally for real cheap

Anyway, I really do like these. I like the bottom one the best because it is less crowded and the masses of color are larger and more striking. In all, however, I prefer pictures of flowers that are very sharp and printed on glossy paper.

Quote Originally Posted by xsport652
    Thanks jared. After looking at it I sort of liked the softness with the lighting it had and all. Especially on the middle flower.
    Xsport, I apologize...I didn't even notice the title. Considering that was the look you were going for, you accomplished it perfectly, well done.

Greg,

The tamron thing is funny because it's true

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Xsport, these images are indeed soft (per your title) as compared to your previous post. Question, did you set out originally and accomplish optically this goal? Or did you accomplish it through digital post processing?

Just curious as you are shooting wide open and I'm not familar with what all post processing can accomplish.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Very nice shots, sport, and definitely soft. Love the colors in both, but the 2nd is probably my favorite. Either of these could qualify as a possible fine art type print. You evidently were using a fast lens, but I wonder what your speed was. Like loupey, I would be interested to find out if the softness was applied post-processing.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Thanks a lot guys. I'm not gonna lie I didn't intend them to be soft but I do like em the way they turned out. It was shot at 1/60 @F1.8 and the softness is from slight camera shake. The only post processing was curves, saturation, and highlight adjustments.
    Thanks

Thanks a lot guys. I'm not gonna lie I didn't intend them to be soft but I do like em the way they turned out. It was shot at 1/60 @F1.8 and the softness is from slight camera shake. The only post processing was curves, saturation, and highlight adjustments.
    Thanks
    Wishing for a tripod?
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

What do you think?
    Both are shot at 1.8 again.

Like #1 best. #2 seems a bit like a maneater from Little Shop of Horrors.

Thanks lava. Yea I am going to be needing a table tipod if im gonna be this stuff a lot more.

Thread Information