Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    GB1

Sierra Nevada, East

Taken a week or two ago. comments?

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sierra Nevada, East-dsc_6977_edit1_1_1200.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Sierra Nevada, East

That's really nice GB the perfectly exposed coulds certainly make this. It doesn't look like it has a single blown out portion. Blown out coulds can really hurt an image but this one is very nice. You pushed the highlights to the edge. Very professional.
    By the way have you shot any film lately? I miss those desert landscapes you do. I picked up a used F4s and I really like it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    That's really nice GB the perfectly exposed coulds certainly make this. It doesn't look like it has a single blown out portion. Blown out coulds can really hurt an image but this one is very nice. You pushed the highlights to the edge. Very professional.
    By the way have you shot any film lately? I miss those desert landscapes you do. I picked up a used F4s and I really like it.
    Thanks Greg. I think it was mostly luck on the highlights. Sometimes there's just enough haze in the air to balance out contrast between two objects - clouds and sky in this situation - where it doesn't blow out on the sensor. I used a polarizer too if you didn't notice. Do you think I should crop off some of the sky? I was thinking a little.

Film, film... oh, yeah... actually, I am doing something with that right now. I shot a model here a few weeks ago and planned on doing a little MF work w/ her with Fuji 160 ISO portrait film, but things got so busy I never got the MF out of my bag. I also loaded a roll of print film in my Nikon F100 and shot that at Mono Lake a couple weeks ago, along with most of the MF roll I should have shot. I will develop those soon. Glad to hear you like the F4. I need to reconnect my film scanner, but it's such a chore trying to get the device to connect to Windows 7/8, as Nikon never provided a driver. There's a hack on the internet but I suspect that it contributed to a Windows corruption issue I had about a month ago, which required me to reload the OS. Next time I'll create a Restore point or whatever they call it first.

My Site

Great exposure ! and I really like the deep blue in the sky

I assume your main subject is the big clouds, I'll try and de-center it some, cropping some of the sky is an option

Yes, the clouds are great. I'd brighten the mountains a little with some fill light/shadows. They just seem so dark against those bright clouds.

GB1

Thanks fellows. Here's a slightly adjusted image, also slightly cropped. Matt, I instead darkened the clouds a tad to reduce contrast.. Not sure if this was the way to go or not, experiments are good though.

btw I've realized over the years that serious photography's best done solo, as the average person can't see why we spend so much time walking around the same scene looking for unique angles. My father was driving and I suspect he was a bit confused as to why I kept stopping to snap pix of the mountains.

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sierra Nevada, East-dsc_6977_edit1_1_1000.jpg  

My Site

I like the crop!
    “A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”
    Ansel Adams
    http://www.squidoo.com/nikon-d7100-r...orth-the-money

Thread Information