Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

"shot from the hip"

Hello, Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    Let me hear your suggestions for these shots. I'm still learning???
    The dead tree was full zoom one at F 4.5 the other at F 8 shutter was auto don't know speeds.

The pine cone was after missing little birds so thought I'd shoot the cone before it dropped off.

If I decide to keep the pine cone, I'll remove the blurred tree top in the bottom right.

Thanks for all CCC. Norris

"shot from the hip"-tree-hole-2.jpg

"shot from the hip"-tree-hole.jpg

"shot from the hip"-pine-cone.jpg

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: "shot from the hip"

The second shot of the tree is better because of the richer blue.
    The problem is that you have a vertically dead center stick which leads off frame at both top and bottom. There is nothing there to give the eye anything to look at other than the tree or stick and it could be either to the viewer. It needs some fore or background to give it a relationship to its environment.
    The pinecone is also dead center. With a different angle and better light it might make an interesting shot.
    Both suffer from the light conditions.
    I can tell that you are seeing things worth shooting so don't be discouraged. Look at the composition of shots you like, find ways to lead the viewers eye into what you want them to see, and try to get your shots during better lighting conditions.
    Keep shooting!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Shoot Now - Sort Later

I agree with Frog. The second photo of the tree is better and if you just crop your pine to the left or right - it would make the photo much more interesting.
    ~ I refuse to tip-toe though life, only to arrive safely at death ~

Thank you both, I was just checking the dead tree with the woodpecker hole so I'd be ready when the bird is present. We have several different woodpeckers the most impressive being the Pileated (sp). Saw three at once last year, now if I can get the camera ready...

I agree with the others. Just catching this at the right moment would help. It just needs that other element to set it off.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Instead of post processing the blurred tree bottom right, just crop the shot to before the tree and a bit off the bottom leaving a gap for the pine needles, which may help the composition. The second shot would be great with the woodpecker at the hole. I'd recommend reading Scott Kelby - The Digital Photography Book, ISBN: 0-321-47404-X an easy quick starter for the basic shot. Good Luck, I look forward to seeing more of your work. S
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Thread Information