Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: A sheep

A sheep

I met this fella today... He asked me gently if I would like to take a picture, and I said yes. So now we would like some critique. Thanks!

Featured Photo for the week of August 7th, 2006. Congratulations! - Photo-John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A sheep-sheep.jpg  
    Last edited by Photo-John; 08-07-2006 at 03:26 PM.

Re: A sheep

Great framing. It seems a little dark but it I am not on my home monitor. But I like it. Good work...

I get an uneasy feeling when I look at this. Not in a bad way, in a good way. Like watching a thriller or somthing. I get a feeling somthing bad is going to happen. I should have popcorn with me when I look at this.

But seriously, this is an excellent photo. Creepy, but I'm digging it.

I LOVE THIS PHOTO!

Pardon my shouting. But I love it. I don't think it's too dark. Normally, that would be the kind of criticism I would offer. But the lack of real whites just adds to this image, in my opinion. I agree that it's a little spooky, and I like it. It's got a sort of illustration feel to it - like a chalk drawing on black paper. The texture is wonderful. It's very visceral to look at. I can feel the texture of the wool. I also like how you've made an icon of the sheep. This is a wonderful animal portrait, I think.

Was this shot at night, by the light of a streetlight? That's what it looks like to me. I've taken pictures in that kind of light and it's very directional. It looks like sodium vapor light to me - the orange street lamps.

Oh yeah - congratulations on being the Featured Photo. There were a bunch of good ones but once I saw this one, nothing else mattered. It was a clear decision for me.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

noise in b/w shot desnt matter that much as just adds to that analog-feel of the photo, but this is just too much.

less noise would raise this photo a lot.

Very good shot! I think that the background is maybe a wee bit dark, but as the person bove said I love the creepy fewel and the texture really makes the photo. I also love the sort of antique feel to the picture the un-sharpness really give it a great rustic farm-ish quality. Your lower angle also adds to the feel of it, excelent job!

I am blown away by this photo ...the gentleness and dignity of the sheep is presented
    it doesn't come across creepy to me at all; it comes across as great!

I keep looking at this image and loving it. I am glad that some other people appreciate it too. I am wondering if this is a scanned print and what looks like noise in the background is actually paper texture? It looks like it might be a print on dark paper or a duotone. If so, it works really well. I would frame this and hang it on the wall. I think it's beautiful. I also like the last critique. I agree that there is a dignity to this photo that's very nice.
    Photo-John

LOVE the grain...

Awesome shot, well cropped, well exposed.

Some "critique" huh?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Hi HM,
    The photo is really nice. I especially like you took the photo in the style of portrait and treated the sheep as a person. The shot reminds me of the works of Nick Brandt (http://www.nickbrandt.com). Congratulations!
    yoyo

The contrast in the wool is great, it really defines it!

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyo Szeto
    Hi HM,
    The photo is really nice. I especially like you took the photo in the style of portrait and treated the sheep as a person. The shot reminds me of the works of Nick Brandt (http://www.nickbrandt.com). Congratulations!
    yoyo
    Great reference, yoyo! I love his work! I think I may start a thread on the art forum about it

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I keep looking at this image and loving it. I am glad that some other people appreciate it too. I am wondering if this is a scanned print and what looks like noise in the background is actually paper texture? It looks like it might be a print on dark paper or a duotone. If so, it works really well. I would frame this and hang it on the wall. I think it's beautiful. I also like the last critique. I agree that there is a dignity to this photo that's very nice.
    its digital. hes a friend of mine and it was probably shot with his d70 and his 50mm lens.

wow! i just came home home from turkey and found this as featuered photo.. thank you!

and i want to say thank you to everybody who said something about it.

actually, it's daylight but the sheep is standing on a hill.

and yes, i shot this with nikon d70, but the lens i used is sigma 70-300mm at around 200mm if i remember it right.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by hardmongo
    wow! i just came home home from turkey and found this as featuered photo.. thank you!

and i want to say thank you to everybody who said something about it.

actually, it's daylight but the sheep is standing on a hill.

and yes, i shot this with nikon d70, but the lens i used is sigma 70-300mm at around 200mm if i remember it right.

thanks again

You just got back from Turkey and I'm going to Turkey next week! I can't wait. I'll be there for 15 months. I know I'll get some great photos there. Congrats on the featured photo! When I first saw it I hoped/knew that it would make the FP.

Just taking another look, a few months down the line. It's still working for me. Still love it.
    Photo-John

A stunning portrait of a sheep. My only niggly bit of critique is that it may look better if the black background was a little less noisy. But hey its really good as is.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    My only niggly bit of critique is that it may look better if the black background was a little less noisy.
    That's not noise, it's texture.
    Photo-John

its a disaster but it must have something.. for all u dudes to be raving over it.. he he

my problem and it might well be my problem is i cant see it.. he he he

trog

Thread Information