Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

She sells sea shells ...

I don't think still life photography is really my thing, but as I really want to improve my photography I keep making myself try the sort of shots I wouldn't normally do just keep things fresh.

This was an attempt at capturing one of my niece's "precious" shells . I had a pretty clear idea of how I wanted it to look given the limitations of the camera - a fairly high key image which focussed on the spiral, but with a shadow to give you a bit more information about the overall shape.

I'm not sure how successful I was, I think I quite like it, but a bit of unbiased critique would be helpful. How would anyone else here approach this sort of thing?

Thanks as always,

matt

GB1

Re: She sells sea shells ...

Kinda reminds me of Apple computers. I think the idea is good. I would add a little more contrast overall. The composition is interesting to me, but I think I would elim a little of the negative space on the left side (experiment with that) and see what you get. I like the shape of the shadow - good job with the placement of the light.

Maybe a color added would be a good expt too.

GB

Good picture but i think color would have helped ,and a little croping on the left ,like the shadow
    Whats the size of this shell ? And if you have it in color could we C it

Hi - thanks for aking the time to comment. In answer to your questions, the shell was about 3cm across, and was a very silvery/pearlescent colour, in fact very similar to the way it appears in b&w. I tend to prefer b&w if I don't hink colour will add anything as it makes you more aware of form and texture, so I don't think I have a colour version. Still, I can always have another go - as long as my neice can bear to part with it again for a little while!

cheers

matt

I really like this image. It has a nice clean look to it. I actually like the negative space giving the image a very artsy look to it. Good job !
    ~Nina~

I agree with Nina, it is a lovely picture and I think that the shadow is great, did you try to take the picture from any different angles??

Thanks Nina/Herriot.

In answer to your question, I did try it from a couple of different angles, but I ended up deleting those shots. To my mind they didn't leave enough to the imagination, and had a bit of a 'so what?' feel to them. This was the simplest composition I came up with, but it worked best for me.

Regards,
    matt

Thread Information