Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Seattle Arboretum at Fall Time

Fall time at the Japanese Gardens in Seattle. No tripods allowed in garden so hand held shot at 400 ISO. Any CC feedback on how to make this a better shot greatly appreciated.

Ray Still
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seattle Arboretum at Fall Time-jpgforcc-medium-.jpg  
    Last edited by Abiciriderback; 10-22-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Re: Seattle Arboretum at Fall Time

Very nice composition and colors. It could work well as an advertisement for the place. It does look a little soft. Maybe sharpen it some.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I agree, running "unsharp mask" at @ 60% strength and a radius of 7 - 9 would do wonders for this shot's sharpness. Composition and color are very good!

jetrim, why radius of 7-9? I don't really understand the unsharp mask's inner workings that well and just about everything i've read suggests 1.0-1.4 and changing the % as needed (ussually 120-185)

Great Shot!

Love the colors. Nice find in scenery. Sharpen a tad yes, but great exposure and overall great photography.

Very beautiful, was it windy that day, because the leaves look unfocused to me.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"-
    Benjiman Franklin

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by caleb
    jetrim, why radius of 7-9? I don't really understand the unsharp mask's inner workings that well and just about everything i've read suggests 1.0-1.4 and changing the % as needed (ussually 120-185)
    Setup may differ for photoshop, I keep forgetting some stuff isn't quite the same as PaintShopPro but I've found that increasing the radius let's you cut the percentage drastically without weird things happening (halo's, rings, sharp lines at the edges, etc.) so the end result, for me anyway, is a sharper image that doesn't look like it's been sharpened. Seriously, experiment A LOT, and see what works best for you. If all else fails, hit "undo" and try something else!

Thread Information