Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Scottish sunshine

Critique's been a bit slow lately so I though I'd post something to try and kick start some enthusiasm.
    Need to get on top of proper way to attach images since server upgrade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scottish sunshine-bridge1.jpg  
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Re: Scottish sunshine

I think the shot is very very good. I like the somewhat over-saturated green colors and I also like the composition. If I was to nit-pick, I think the sky getting more and more bright as we approach the top of the photo draws my eye out of the image. I would consider some top down gradient filter be added. Perhaps with a slight hint of blue or purple.

Thanks llewpics, I tried a dark gradient but it changed the effect of the hill disappearing up into the mist by bringing out extra detail.
    Pete

Lower 1/2 is very nice, but the sky and brightness of it pulls me away from the bridge. I know you were trying to get the fadeout into the mist/mountains, but it doesn't work too well here given the contrast between the two IMO. I played around with the crop and found that, in my taste, I liked the shot better with the misty mountains cropped down to the darker foreground hills.

Thanks Ridgetop, I tried your crop idea and I can see what you are getting at but the clouds and heavy rain (which is not all that obvious ) are part of the narrative of this image. Well for me anyway....
    Pete

Thanks for attempting to stir things up in here hminx. I think one of the issues is that our moderator has gone MIA. I jump in every once in a while when I'm going to update the featured photos but other than that, there's no real formal leadership. Maybe you'd be interested in taking on a little responsibility?

Now - a little critique. I make it a point to always be an example when I post in here...

I love the scene. The colors are great, it's got a nice lively feel and the composition is pretty good. I especially love those huge, juicy-looking ferns. However, it's missing something. And I think that something is a figure on the bridge. It needs a person. At least I think it does. I don't know if you thought about that or not when you were taking it and I don't know if you can reshoot it. But next time you find yourself in a situation like this, consider being your own model. It can be a very tricky game, but you could try to set up on a tripod with the timer and make a run for it and put yourself in the photo when you need the human element.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks PJ, this site and the great people here have given a lot to me over the years so if there's any way I can help out .......
    Pete

It looks a little over sharpened and needs a left rotate but other than that I like it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    It looks a little over sharpened and needs a left rotate but other than that I like it.
    Thanks Greg, I was playing with a detail enhancement technique on this to highlight the texture in the stone bridge. The ground naturally slopes quite steeply down from the left here, hence the horizon as is.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgetop View Post
    Lower 1/2 is very nice, but the sky and brightness of it pulls me away from the bridge.
    I don't think the top of the image pulls away from the bridge at all. I think it helps add to the overall feeling of the scene and the climate of the region the photo was shot in. Well done.
    Steve Furst

View my work:
    Furst Edition Photography

Thanks Steve

BTW checked out your web site , it was definitely worth a look
    Pete

Nice. I like the richness of the greens. Would like to see a little more fog.

Nice texture on those ferns in the foreground contrasted with the weathered bridge

Thread Information