Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Santa Cruz mountains

This is my first posting to the Photo Critique Forum. I look forward to hearing your critiques and advice.

I took this photo just before sunset in Northern California's Santa Cruz mountains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz mountains-long-ridge-open-space-preserve-sep-07-.jpg  

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Santa Cruz mountains

Looks like someone was at the bench at Saratoga Gap ;)

Looks good, I like the sunray coming through the clouds on the left of the frame. I wish there was a little bit more path between those rocks and going out to the right though. Thats the only thing I would change.

You might want to try going out there when there is some low lying fog coming in near sunset, I've got a sweet image during that time.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

MB1

I'm thinking my monitor must be weak today or else everyone seems to be posting images that are just too dark.

I like the composition although I think the horizon isn't level. It just might look better if you cropped off about 1/2 of the grey clouds at the top giving greater weight to the mountains and foreground.
    No, I DON'T need that.

GB1

Welcome to the PR forums. I like your photo here - it has good geometry, the colors are relaxing, and it has nice mood. I also like the black frame you added.

I can't decide if I like it as desolate as it is....... seems like could use an animal or two, if properly located in the frame. I like how you don't see birds though -- everything is grounded, like you're too high for birds.

It also seems like an exclusive place, like only those who talk to the gods can venture here or something. (I think I've seen too many movies.......) You could use this place as a background for many subjects.

Nice post.
    G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for your comments.

jorgemonkey, you're absolutely right about the location. I was mountain biking through Saratoga Gap and Long Ridge when I took this. It looks like you're a mountain biker, too. I totally agree with your comment about the path through the rocks.

MB1, I tried brightening the image, rotating it a bit to see if the horizon looks better, and cropping as you suggested. I like it brighter but I'm not so sure about the cropping. What do you think?

GB1, I appreciate your feedback. If the rocks and path through the grass in the foreground had been more prominent, maybe it would have felt less desolate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz mountains-long-ridge-open-space-preserve-cropped-sep-07.jpg  

Thread Information