Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

San Diego Zoo Wood Duck

I know, it is a zoo picture. Still, what do you think of it in terms of quality, composition, cropping, sharpness, color and all the things that would make it a better image?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails San Diego Zoo Wood Duck-wood-duck-.jpg  
    PHL 4-6
    http://www.pbase.com/gammon

mad duck

I think the colors look very nice. what struck me right away was his eyes. they're very bright and a cool color. and honetly he looks a little pissed. guess you didn't have any bread? ;)

Wood Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by connellj
    I know, it is a zoo picture. Still, what do you think of it in terms of quality, composition, cropping, sharpness, color and all the things that would make it a better image?
    Hello John

Wood Ducks are one of natures most beautiful and colourful creatures.
    Your composition is good, you could move the duck to the upper right a little but it's a judgement call.
    Not sure how much you cropped but that's part of the final composition and just a touch more space below his reflection, a little less above his head and slightly tighter to his *ss.
    You might try toning down the contrast and colour saturation, just a little and making the photograph slightly sharper. Open the shadows a little also.
    All of this is post processing and since you did well with the exposure in the first place, it's no big deal.

Fitz

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

drake wood duck

Quote Originally Posted by connellj
    i think mr. fitz basicly summed it up QUITE well.

not much i could add besides a lower vantage point would only strengthen your photo.

the exposure is pretty damb good!

the lighting angle brings out the color GREAT!

the angle he is facing is great.

i'm sure with the above mentioned changes..

(mr. fitz" You might try toning down the contrast and colour saturation, just a little and making the photograph slightly sharper. Open the shadows a little also" )

...this file would ROCK even more!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Re-cropped and reposted

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    i think mr. fitz basicly summed it up QUITE well.

not much i could add besides a lower vantage point would only strengthen your photo.

the exposure is pretty damb good!

the lighting angle brings out the color GREAT!

the angle he is facing is great.

i'm sure with the above mentioned changes..

(mr. fitz" You might try toning down the contrast and colour saturation, just a little and making the photograph slightly sharper. Open the shadows a little also" )

...this file would ROCK even more!
    Thought I'd recrop and sharpen. Will tone down the saturation and contrast on my own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails San Diego Zoo Wood Duck-wood-duck-b.jpg  
    PHL 4-6
    http://www.pbase.com/gammon

Thread Information