Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Salton

GB1

Salton

From the Salton Sea.

Is this a keeper? Not sure whether it brings much to the table.

Name:  DSC_0156_57_58_59_60_tonemapped_1200.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  187.2 KB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Re: Salton

Hi GB!

Meh, I think you already know the answer here. I recognize that the strips of debris in the foreground are supposed to be leading lines but there's just nothing going on there except the color of the light on the wood which is nice but there's really not enough for interest. Not enough of the rickety shack in the middle ground and too much "common street" view in the background. It is exposed well and I like the sun reflecting through the clouds and the warmth of the light. I know this gets said a lot in hindsight but maybe a lower angle wound have helped here to bring more attention to the debris and the shack.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by CLKunst View Post
    Hi GB!

Meh, I think you already know the answer here. I recognize that the strips of debris in the foreground are supposed to be leading lines but there's just nothing going on there except the color of the light on the wood which is nice but there's really not enough for interest. Not enough of the rickety shack in the middle ground and too much "common street" view in the background. It is exposed well and I like the sun reflecting through the clouds and the warmth of the light. I know this gets said a lot in hindsight but maybe a lower angle wound have helped here to bring more attention to the debris and the shack.
    Thanks Cindy. Every now and then you pop in and scare me by appearing out of nowhere! I see what you mean about lack of leading lines, this one seems to shoot off in every direction, like total chaos (actually, that's a good description of Bombay Beach). There's just nothing in the photo that makes it interesting, so I will declare it a failure and move on.

On a side note, this area is sadly nowhere near its former nasty self. It appears people have been stripping the buildings for firewood and I also heard a rumor that the county wants to use the land for solar collectors, so they could have something to do with it. They have also knocked down the old abandoned motel on the north end of the lake, and replaced it with a (ohhh) new building. Hard to believe anybody would sink any $ into that area, so no idea on that one. Bottom line is they're cleaning the place up, so future pix will have to be more creative.

GB

My Site

A few steps closer would have done it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I think the sun is the odd element out here Greg, have you looked at cropping most of the left so that the shed and foreground board remain. They seem to fit better as parts of the story, which I think this is about, not a sunset landscape.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

GB1

Greg, I agree that maybe it being bigger in the frame would have improved it, but also I doubt that it would have made much of a difference. Plus, that mud there was wicked! Shows that you need to bring special equipment - including boots - for something like this.

Pete, good pts. I can crop out the left side, but unfortunately am I still am not seeing anything. The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced it doesn't cut the mustard.

Another photographer (a very good one actually) told me recently that when evaluating your work, you have to ask the question "Is it better than what I already have?" As time goes on, I think this will be answered "No" more and more often, but you can try new angles, ideas, etc. I need to try something completely different out at the Salton Sea next time. She also said to evaluate your current port to see what's "missing." That is, decide what you need before you depart. This planning aspect is where i need to get better, too.

Here's an example of a better SS shot (also at Bombay Beach) taken about 6 month earlier. Way superior to the recent post I think...

ps - both are HDRs.

Salton-bombaybeach_dec2012_dsc_0986_87_88_89_90_tonemapped_1000.jpg

My Site

HDR? I like it! Showing the destruction of this area.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Whole heartedly agree with that other photographer, always push for something better than you've already done. I have a personal motto, "You're only as good as your last shot." I find this phrase floating to the surface just when I think I'm ready to put the camera away. "How was that last shot? Did I say everything there was to say here? What did I miss?"

And you're right, this one is head and shoulders above that first image. Excellent clouds, light, horizon position, background interest, it all works well.

P.S. I never mean to scare you GB but I would be remiss if I cruised the forum and didn't check in on you and offer a thought if I have one.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    From the Salton Sea.

Is this a keeper? Not sure whether it brings much to the table.

Name:  DSC_0156_57_58_59_60_tonemapped_1200.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  187.2 KB
    what I think is low angle, lil closer to that structure and adding bit more sky could work...

Thread Information