Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: sailing

sailing

sailing on the ocean...looks like it is about to storm!

Picture taken in St. Maarten last year. We had just been diving, and, the day was actually very nice...the clouds made it a little bit cooler than usual!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sailing-sailing.jpg  

Re: sailing

Its quite bright in the upper right hand corner also i suggest cropping the other boat out
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26936532@N06/
    Take a look at my Pictures! Pc for Pc

Read my blog?
    http://astoryofpictures.blogspot.com/

GB1

I think it may need more contrast and a different composition, as the boat is placed dead center, making it look sort of plain.

Since I didn't think you would mind, I tried a artsy edit - getting there, maybe..
    G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sailing-sailing-edit.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I will take the first photo over this thing.... It not even a photo its more of a graphic design

Read my blog?

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Hi Stephljones,

You've got a good start here. GB is right about the boat, espescially the mast being dead center. I would suggest a crop that accents the sky and leaves room for the boat to sail into and keeps that distant sailboat in the frame for scale.

I don't agree with letting GIMP explode all over this photo as it departs alittle too much from the original intention of the photogapher. We're looking for better, not weirder.

I would have adjusted the levels and brought down the highlights so you can get mre details from the clouds and stronger contrast from the boat.

I've attached a copy which demonstrates my suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sailing-sailing.jpg  
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

thanks guys! i debated about leaving the sailboat in the center, or putting off to the side... i agree that it would look better off center.

i like the processing and coloring!!! (but, you guys know i like the weird stuff sometimes!!!)

I bumped up the brightness from the original...i think i will go back and tone it down a bit.. think i went overboard!

GB1

Thks steph, glad somebody likes my work !!

My Site

ahah is this a photography forum or a graphic arts forum?

Read my blog?

jordan...i think it may be a little of both!!!

it is fun to edit images, fix problems and add colors...i guess sometimes we just want get someone else's opinion on something done to a photo...not just the lighting and composition.

either way...i like telling eveyone what I think (cause no one here listens to a darn thing!!!)
    and...I like hearing opinions on my stuff too...I think it opens my eyes and maybe I can see something I missed...even though I probably spent a few hours working with the shot!

GB1

Well, you do seem a little bothered by the edit Jordan. This particular forum has neve been a 'purist' one, so adjustments are fair game. It's not graphical art, btw - it is a photo manipulation, though I agree it does look like a poster. I think it needs something to get it over the edge; more color perhaps.

Sometimes, a photo has reached it's limit but it nice source material for a manipulation. I shot a model once and although the pose and everything was fine, it didn't work because of the harsh lighting. Instead of giving up on it I went ahead and played around and came up with something pretty neat - check it out at

http://www.gregbulla.com/Photography...heWildWest.jpg

Gb

My Site

gb...very very interesting piece of art! i like it...it shows you can take a photograph that didn't look great, but turn it into something still special!!!

i would like to see it as the basis of a collage...with other mediums layered and pasted and torn away over the top!

Thread Information