Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Sr. Member.

S9000 Distortion

This picture of the TV Towers in Shanghai bothers me. There is a lot of distortion, with an obvious inwards tilting of the buildings. Is this typical of the S9000 zoom lens? Assuming it is ... will a DSLR such as the K10D with a good lens avoid this warpage?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S9000 Distortion-shanghai-tv-tower-2-resized.jpg  

GB1

Re: S9000 Distortion

ifxmnfly -

Welcome to the wonderful world of distortion. There is barrel distortion, pin-hole distortion, etc. But I think it is possible that this distortion is normal for photos of tall structures taken from below. I could be wrong. Perhaps someone w/ more insight will reply on this one.

Welcome to the board btw.
    GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: S9000 Distortion

You might as well get used to Barrel distorion, it is a fact of life. My own Camera the Panasonic DMC-FZ 20 has a bit of a barrel distortion problem, which I regularly have to correct in Photoshop.

Distortion usually shows up with you take pictures of strait verticle or horizontal objects (such as tall buildings). Generally speaking, at the wide end of any lens (Zoomed all the way out) , you will have what is known as Barrel Distortion and at the Telephoto end of any lens, you will have pincusion distortion (though not nearly as severe, if it exists at all).

The best way to avoid distortion is to use the middle range of a camera lens. The higher priced lens's will have less distortion, but they all have it to some degree, just get used to it and use it as a tool of the trade

Thread Information