Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Winter Water Garden

Is this too busy for you. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Water Garden-water-garden.jpg  
    PHL 4-6
    http://www.pbase.com/gammon

Connellj,
    Looks like a great place to be. Yes , the pic does come off as being busy. The reflection in the water must have been great to have seen, but is coming off in this shot as too busyIMO. Also wondering if you are using unsharp mask or sharpness enhancer of some sort, might be a bit too much,
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by connellj
    Is this too busy for you. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
    Connellj,
    I thought by just selecting the reflective area in the photo and bringing it down a bit in intensity and softening it up some might help bring out the subject more and cut down on the busy feeling of the shot. Here is an example of what I mean. I think it helps some, but just my opinion . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Water Garden-water-gardenx.jpg  

gary

wow

gahspidy,

wow what a cool tool! not to mention i like what it did for the photo. imho, it improved the look and feel a lot by uncluttering the main subject which is the actual building. i have so much to learn about photoshop....

thanks for posting this!

Beautiful Place...

...and you've captured the essence of it well. I think what causes it to look "busy" is actually the grass and its reflections in the water (foreground), and maybe little things like the bird statue amid the columns (and its refelction). Technically it's "cheating" but you could probably photoshop quite a bit of the grass out and the other "trinkets" that distract from the composition of the building and its reflection (and the water itself).
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by stew
    gahspidy,

wow what a cool tool! not to mention i like what it did for the photo. imho, it improved the look and feel a lot by uncluttering the main subject which is the actual building. i have so much to learn about photoshop....

thanks for posting this!
    Sure Stew,
    Actually, I am using Paint Shop Pro 8 "psp" which is very similiar to photoshop. Just a matter of selecting the area which you wish to edit with the appropriate selection tool for the task. Then, once you have selected it, you can adjust whatever you like to just that selected area. I am just learning to use the program as well and am learning as I go. What I feel is important is that it is very easy to get carried away with all the editing abilities so try to keep things as subtle and simple to keep the photo looking natural.

Photoshop is such a well supported program that if you go to a bookstore, you can find many books and magazines that give you good step by step approaches to doing lots of different tasks in Photoshop.

gary

Thanks

Thanks for taking the trouble to show me what you had in mind. I'll rework this and find out if it is too much sharpening or too much contrast and then follow your suggestions on the reflections.

-john
    PHL 4-6
    http://www.pbase.com/gammon

Quote Originally Posted by connellj
    Thanks for taking the trouble to show me what you had in mind. I'll rework this and find out if it is too much sharpening or too much contrast and then follow your suggestions on the reflections.

-john
    Sure,
    I like this photo,and it sure looks like a great place to spend some quiet time.

gary

the suggestions given are very good (especially reducing the sharpness of the reflection...have you tried it as a BW as well...I bet the feel of it would change even more...It's a beautiful shot in color and very peaceful...but toning down the reflection may be the trick...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thread Information