Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Ruins no.4

Seb

The Ruins no.4

As I come back to my pictures from last year (the canadian winter keep me inside when I am not skiing...) I decided to give a try to this one.

Any thought??

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Re: The Ruins no.4

This photo piques my interest. It has some ambiguous spatial relationships whic are interesting to me. I like it a lot. The 2 birds are one of those mysteries of timing which can really make a pic into a photograph.

I like the multiple layers of depth you show here - to me it presents a real 3 dimensional rendering that is quite intersting and keeps pulling me back to look again. Nice work!
    Aaron

As Aaron pointed out, the layers in this picture work perfectly to create that awesome depth perception. Great shot, and lovely grey then contrast to green colors.

Jared

Well done, Seb. You've nailed it with this one. Layers is a good description as it does have a three dimensional feel. Good textures, composition and many elements of interest. Great job
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Hi Seb,
    This shot is interesting. The composition is well crafted and there is a juxtaposition approach in picture. The left rusty frame is very well placed. However, I am not too sure about the center pole. It seems to be the soul of the picture but is also distracting. All in all, the approach is creative.
    yoyo

Seb,

How did you get those pigeons to stay put - superglue??? :-)

I like this shot - took me a while to see the birds there is so much to see. My only minor nit pick is that you cropped the top of the rusty pole. Good shooting!
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Seb

Hello guys,

Thanks for commenting.

Terry: I am glad that you like this one. Birds are pure luck. Oddly, they seems to enjoy these ruins. They are also there in another picture of this spot that I have put in my gallery.

Aaron and jar_e: I was seeking for a tridimensional effect. Thanks for noticing.

Gary: I did literally worked with layers in post processing (ok so this is the real way to do it but it's new for me). Actually, I used various levels of color saturation over the scene to put emphasis on rust and enhance depth.

Yoyo: You are voicing a concern that I have with the pole. Actually I desaturated the pole to make it less overwhelming (which i think worked to some extents) but it may worth to work it some more.

Roger: Superglue is a basic item to keep in your bag all the time . Thanks for looking.

regards

Seb

Seb, I recall seeing a similar image in the past - yours? Anyway - it is very striking (and memorable - a good thing...). I enjoy the textures, details and the artist's collage-like appearance of the work. I wonder if I could see a little space just above the metal post (near the middle) as my eye keeps following it up and it seems uncomfortably cut off.

Tuna

learning member

Striking, riveting! A man walking a dog, a fourth layer? makes me look close. I didn't notice the birds at first. Quarraling lovebirds? Perfect,
    Mark.

Hello Seb
    I honestly cannot make up my mind on this one: especially where the drainpipe, which does monopolise the picture, is concerned. Sometimes I want it out of the way and then I feel it should stay because it adds the depth and strong contrast. I did not notice the birds at first but their discretion is good.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

It is interesting to me because it looks like a composit image. Even though I know that it isn't everytime I look at it it strikes me as such.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Seb

Hello guys,

Tuna: The other picture you are reffering at (similar wall, four birds and one window) is mine. I am glad that you like it. I shot two frames of this scene and I kept the one where the post was less cut (this was shot last summer and I didn't thought that it could be a keeper at first...) but I agree with you, there could be more space over the post.

mdmc: Thanks for commenting. I didn't noticed these folks in the window myself when I shot the picture (I was mostly worried about the birds potentially flying away) and I was somewhat annoyed when I noticed these folks later on but they do act as a fourth layer.

Tom: Thanks for commenting. I can't think about this picture without the pole but I guess that it could be made less overwhelming by working on color saturation as I mentionned to Yoyo.

Almo: Thanks for your words. I appreciate it.

Seb

Hi Seb,
    I agree with all the positivie input I've heard from others above. I also like this shot. The depth & layer effect is wonderful.

The only area that bugs me a bit is how the top of the main pillar interacts with the border or the frame of the photo. I think the top of the pillar should be clearly below the border or above it & not right on the border as it is now.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

learning member

Hello Seb

I also like this shot of yours .
    Your composition is excellent !
    You managed to created a great depth perception there .
    Very good !

If you like ruins , you should visit the Zimbabwe ruins one day ( if it will be safe again there ;) )

Regards
    james

Seb

hello Leels and James,

I take good note of your comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Seb

Thread Information