Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Ruby Beach, WA In B&W

Cloudy cool Oct day on Ruby Beach, WA. Color wasn't working so gave B&W a shot. any feedback, CC appreciated.
    Thanks for looking
    Ray Still

PRB

Re: Ruby Beach, WA In B&W

I must make a trip to Washington State, the scenery there is just exceptional.

The only upsetting thing I'm seeing on my monitor is a white outline around the subject mountains, otherwise, I think the b&w rescue turned out very well.
    My love for others is NOT conditional on their meeting my standards.

I'm a very newbie and can't comment on the technical aspects, but I can tell you I like how your composition causes my eye to travel through your picture, and I like the contrast of the clarity of your foreground as opposed to the misty-ness (is that a word?) of the distant rocks -- and the shadow on the beach in the foreground is cool -- lends drama to the scene.

Ray, I really love this one. Very appealing to me. As for improvement, maybe a smaller aperture to get more in focus? Also a technique that I came across recently to get more of your shot in focus, if so one wishes, is called hyper focal focusing or something like that. i haven't understood it yet but reading about it more and more. basically this technique insures that the majority of your shot is in perfect focus if one is after the really deep depth of field that is common to landscape photography.

I personally like this one as is. nice dramatic skies, very nice black and white tone. great composition and lighting.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information