Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Rooftop near the ocean

Comments appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rooftop near the ocean-_dsc0024-r-72-2.jpg  

Re: Rooftop near the ocean

I really like this. The crop and colors are very good. I think you should level the roofline. Nice work.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I would level the skyline, not the roofline.
    From this angle, with all that nice perspective, the roof may not appear level in reality either.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

MB1

Wow, great colors.

I like the composition just fine although as SW noted the horizon is not level.
    No, I DON'T need that.

I checked it in PS and Paul and MB1 are correct. It's the horizon that needs leveled.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I leveled the horizon. Wow, you guys are sharp!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rooftop near the ocean-_dsc0024-r-72-3.jpg  

Better, you don't get anything past Paul and MB1. That's why I hang here......

Sony a99/a7R

Question: When I posted my image in this Photo Critique forum, I chose to upload it to my Gallery as well. Seems simple. So why did the image appear three times in my Gallery? (I manually removed the extra copies in my Gallery... now the thumbnail image is missing.)

Quote Originally Posted by freedom1500
    Question: When I posted my image in this Photo Critique forum, I chose to upload it to my Gallery as well. Seems simple. So why did the image appear three times in my Gallery? (I manually removed the extra copies in my Gallery... now the thumbnail image is missing.)
    Because you uplaoded to three different catagories. I think?

Sony a99/a7R

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

No criticism here. Great shot. Leveling helped.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

great shot. love the color and patterns.

the leveled version appears less sharp than the original
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Fantastic image. The color and illumination is wonderful. good framing. I agree the original version looks sharper. Could be that after leveling the re edit you sharpened less or so. Either way it's great.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I always work in Photoshop. This time, to straighten the horizon, I did a quick edit in iPhoto and the result came out a little soft. Strange. Has anyone else experienced this in iPhoto? Are there other Mac users here? Thanks for the feedback on my photo. Good eyes, great minds in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by freedom1500
    I always work in Photoshop. This time, to straighten the horizon, I did a quick edit in iPhoto and the result came out a little soft. Strange. Has anyone else experienced this in iPhoto? Are there other Mac users here? Thanks for the feedback on my photo. Good eyes, great minds in this forum.
    If you edited the resized jpeg that you had originally posted then it could have suffered from more compression after you saved it again. If you edited your original high res file( tif, RAW?) and then followed your normal proceedure for saving to the web perhaps you did not apply the same sharpening amounts.

gary

I'm guilty on the first count: re-editing a previously edited image, therefore re-compressing a previously compressed file. And that's what you you get... a softer, blurred image! I'll go back to the original high-res Photoshop file. Thanks for your wisdom Gahspidy.

Congratulations on a really fine photo.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

It's very surreal and other-worldly looking with the lighting, color of the sky, and lack of shadows where you'd expect them to be.
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6

Nice work. It's surreal. And congrats on the stickie.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

OMG I want that house so bad.

Liz

This is an awesome photo - as everyone else has said. It's one of those that calls me to go back and have the pleasure of viewing it again....and again. Thanks for sharing your good work! Post some more.

Liz

It looks fantastic as well on the thumbnail at top of the page. What i also find surreal about this is that the rocks surrounding the house would be very large in size, like boulders. This actually looks like a model house set on some gravel with an ocean scene behind it. Whatever, it looks fantastic and surreal.

gary

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

If it was a house roof I'd expect to see guttering and downpipes on it, that fact that it seems to just drip off in to the rocks makes me question the scale of this photo (which is another reason why I like it, same as you Gary).

I think this is a gravel covered flat roof (large gravel) and the stepped part we see is possibly a skylight, with multicoloured windows. I'd say about 30 foot* square, perhaps larger.

* Assumes 10 windows a side, with 12" windows and 18" between.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks for your comments everyone.
    My title "rooftop" is actually with reference to the flat surface covered with stones (see a different angle/composition attached). What appears to be a ridged roof is in fact the top of a large skylight for a dining room below. During the day, the colored-glass windows flood the restaurant with amazing rainbows of natural light. I'm afraid I don't have exact roof measurements nor did I count the number of small windows but I think Smart Wombat is pretty close with his calculations (except windows are bigger than 12"). For reference, the average diameter of the stones is approximately six to eight inches. What makes this shot surreal is the lighting. The yellowish light on the left is coming from another set of windows from an adjoining building. And of course the gradated sky was generously provided by the setting sun on the Riviera Maya - Mexico. (Note: At that moment, everyone else was enjoying the culinary delights in the restaurant below while I was crawling/fumbling around in the dark with my camera. All of you reading this forum know exactly what I'm talking about, right?)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

GB1

Freedom - Been meaning to see that this is a really neat shot of a neat place. Funny reading your last post's description, I was going to guess that it was either somewhere up in the Santa Barbara area or in Mexico, the latter because Mexican artists seem to gravitate towards the simple primary and secondary colors (I don't know why I also thought of SB...).

Very nice composition too. You appear to have found a really nice, pleasing angle of a fairly complicated architecture.

Gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I like the first one, it's so nice

Thread Information