Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

(Rodin's?) Thinker

I don't think I really did this one justice, but thought I'd post it anyway as its not a complete write off.

Taken in my local library , I loved the look of the guy absorbed in the book as the bright light was streaming in through the window. Unfortunately that combination also makes for a really tricky exposure if you want to retain any shadow detail, and I think that's where I ought to have done better. Unfortunately the last thing I wanted was for the guy to be disturbed and realise I was grabbing the shot, especially as I was only a few feet away, so I couldn't spend too long on standing in front of him fiddling with my camera settings!

Thanks for looking

matt

Last edited by mattp; 05-25-2005 at 05:35 PM.

Talking Re: (Rodin's?) Thinker

Hi Matt,
    He is Rodin's Thinker with clothes on. The tight environment enhances the self-absorbing image of the gentlement. I can also feel the quietness of the library through your capture. Well done!
    yoyo

Re: (Rodin's?) Thinker

Hi Matt,

I think you had great potential for a character study here. I will make two suggestions for next time....

First, I would have gone for a tighter shot. This may have allowed more control of the exposure, and it would bring greater focus on the subject. However, if you were working with a non-zoom lens -- I can see why you would respectfully opt-out.

Secondly, I would have tried sitting down and shot at the eye-level (or lower) of the subject.

Anyway, it is a nice image and certainly caught my attention.
    BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

thanks for the comments guys.

Tim - as I was taking this as a candid, my framing options were limited. I was right out in the open, there was no reason at all for me to be standing there doing nothing, so if I'd stopped for more than a moment I'd have been spotted by everyone (and possibly been told by the librarian not to hassle the other library users!). Squatting down may have worked I suppose - if I'd suddenly become very absorbed in my shoelaces! Your suggestions are very valid though, and with the subjects cooperation this could have made a good portrait.

Cheers

matt

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

I agree with all the comments and yes you are probably right not to disturb the man. Then again when i think of all the times i have let chances drift by !! You could have taken this shot and then approached him and explained how you would like his permission to take a composed pic of him and offered him a copy of the final result. He could only say no otherwise............
    Bobby

Thread Information