Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Rocks on the beach

I know, I know, you've seen a few of these lately but, they make for great fun with texture play. Plus, I'm trying to challenge myself a little with only using a 50mm lens. This is with the Tri-X and my Nikkormat EL again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocks on the beach-09152007-1.jpg   Rocks on the beach-09152007-11.jpg  
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

MB1

Re: Rocks on the beach

The top image is a better composition than the second but it is too dark and not sharp enough.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Thanks again MB1 That first shot I was a little uncertain about. Still not quite used to the DOF ranges for my 50mm yet. This is a good reminder to make sure to check my DOF range before firing
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

GB1

Aaron - They have potential, but I don't think you've gotten the best angle on these puppies or found the best spots out there. The first one's patterns seem to leave the frame at an unattractive location, and the rock is too dark and too blah.. The second one is better but I wish there was more space at the top of the frame, seems you've placed the rock in the horizontal 1/3 inflection point but centered it vertically, which doesn't seem right.

Also, I agree that both shots are too dark. Seems like the lighting wasn't ideal at the time you took the photos, makes the rocks look sinister. I'm unsure about the B&W... color may also have been good.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks GB1 I think part of the dark is from adjustments I did. There was some real bright sun and I forgot my CPL at home I adjusted them a bit a to even out the tones. Probably should have added a little more exposure to them after mellowing out all the highlights

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Thread Information