Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: River Portrait

River Portrait

B&W photo, Ilford Delta 100. Comments and critique are welcome. This is an aspect I'd like to improve upon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails River Portrait-river-profile-web.jpg  
    Please ask before editing my photos and I will gladly do the same.

Re: River Portrait

All in all it is a great shot. A few things that stand out to me - it seems a bit bright - at least the girl anyway - like a floodlight is on her. She seems very posed also. Maybe something to losen her up - pretend like you are fixing your camera, or wait til she relaxes a bit to take the photo. Did you shoot any others?

Quote Originally Posted by chocolic
    All in all it is a great shot. A few things that stand out to me - it seems a bit bright - at least the girl anyway - like a floodlight is on her. She seems very posed also. Maybe something to losen her up - pretend like you are fixing your camera, or wait til she relaxes a bit to take the photo. Did you shoot any others?

Thanks for the comments.

Backlight was the morning sun. This was an impromptu walk along the river. Oddly enough, she didn't even know I was taking the picture. I took advantage of her being focused on something along the other bank.

Here's the follow up shot when she heard the shutter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails River Portrait-laughing-rock.jpg  

MB1

It looks to me like you focused just behind her. If you look carefully its seems that the point of rock just behind her appears to be the focal point). I also think the bright sun made your exposure difficult-this would have been the perfect place for a touch of fill flash.

Get a DSLR!

BTW How are you liking the camera?

BTW2 the composition is really quite good although I think you could have put her even further to the right in the frame.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    It looks to me like you focused just behind her. If you look carefully its seems that the point of rock just behind her appears to be the focal point). I also think the bright sun made your exposure difficult-this would have been the perfect place for a touch of fill flash.

Get a DSLR!

BTW How are you liking the camera?

BTW2 the composition is really quite good although I think you could have put her even further to the right in the frame.
    You're right about the focus. I can see that plainly now.

As far as a DSLR, well we'll see.

The new camera is way awesome. Only problem is that I take too many pictures with it! TLR goes through film much slower.

Positioning wise, you are right again (as always). We were pretty much in the middle of the river standing on large rocks. I probably could have panned over a bit, or leaned to my right some.

Thanks

Thread Information