Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Ritchie Havens in B & W

Anyone remember Ritchie Havens? I took the photo in the mid 1970's at the Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley CA. Shot with tri-x. Let me know what you think of this image.

Cheers,

Jim B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ritchie Havens in B & W-richie-havens-1.jpg  

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Re: Ritchie Havens in B & W

Great pic Jim,,,yeah I'm old enough to remember Ritchie Havens...The high view point is unusual and adds to the image..Selective focusing on Ritchie is good..My eye leads straight to the main subject although the out of focus guitarist is a bit distracting,,maybe burning him in a bit more would have helped here....I would have cropped the negative space above Ritchie's head and given it a tad more contrast,,,the image lacks whites on my monitor..Otherwise,,good pic..
    TriX is a wonderful film and can take heaps of abuse...Was it pushed processed??

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Ahhhhh, wonderful TriX. Damn, I love the film! I like this image, you have captured the mood and emotion very well. I also think it looks pushed. Nice job.
    Canon Rebel XT with grip
    Kit lens
    Contax 159MM with grip

Quote Originally Posted by jbaldocchi
    Anyone remember Ritchie Havens? I took the photo in the mid 1970's at the Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley CA. Shot with tri-x. Let me know what you think of this image.

Cheers,

Jim B.
    Yes.. Here Comes The Sun, was my favorite. I have some Havens pics from the late 60's or early 70's too. Have no idea where they are now. They were published in my college yearbook so I do have that copy. You did a great job wiht this one. Always love the tri-x look. I think you had to have lived with it for a few years as we did to really appreciate tri-x.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I don't frequent this forum, but I saw the title and had to look. Nice shot, I love stuff like this on Tri-X. Have you seen Jim Marshall's book "Proofs"? I don't mind the bassist in the foreground, but it might have been a little stronger if the camera was turned just a little to the right (so he was closer to the left side of the frame). Not much though - if this was a 4x6 print, maybe 1/2" to 3/4", not sure how else to describe it.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Was the film pushed I can't remember, maybe. I thought leaving in the bass player added to the motion of the stage show but I can see how it might be distracting. I have a few more R & R neg's from that era that were never printed. I'll try to put up a couple more later on.

Cheers,

Jim B.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

This is a fine concert photograph of a fine musician.
    But my only problem is why are you posting it now?
    My point is, I'd would rather see current work posted here in the critique forum.
    What are you doing now? I can see that you are currently doing new work. Wouldn't you rather have your newer work critiqued?
    I'd Love To See It!
    Please don't take offense to my comments or think I want to discourage posting of older work. It's just that I just think that posting single photographs this old isn't an affective way to learn much. In the larger context of your photography looking at older photographs of yours is a good thing, but I am just not sure it can be all that helpful unless you are still doing something like this today.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Just missed him...

Nice pic. Havens played a show in the town where I live not too long ago, and I tried very hard to set up a portrait session with his label people. It didn't happen, and I was very disappointed. Besides admiring him and his work, he has a great face that I know would be perfect for a b&w character portrait.

Oh, btw, I missed his show, too... :mad2:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your comments, I just realized that this forum doesn't want anything over a couple of years old so this image is missplaced. As for learning from this image, that's why I go to museums to study old photography and photographers, I might learn something from them.

Cheers,

Jim B.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbaldocchi
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for your comments, I just realized that this forum doesn't want anything over a couple of years old so this image is missplaced. As for learning from this image, that's why I go to museums to study old photography and photographers, I might learn something from them.

Cheers,

Jim B.

No Worries!
    I love to go to museums and look at books of my favorite photographers from the past as well!
    It is a great way to learn about photography and improve your own photography.
    I will delete the double post.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biggy smalls
    Ahhhhh, wonderful TriX. Damn, I love the film! I like this image, you have captured the mood and emotion very well. I also think it looks pushed. Nice job.
    Yeah biggy I agree....When I was shooting B/W years ago my two favourite films were TriX and Ilford PanF 50,,I had a fridge full of the stuff in both 35mm and 120..T-Max 400 wasn't bad either but didn't have the "roundness" of TriX..The tonal range of TriX is hard to beat..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Thread Information