Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Rhinos Against the Sun

Hi All,

Here is my second photo post (in so many days)
    I was driving the the Kruger National Park and found a couple of Rhino Bulls having a sunset stroll on a Rock.

I unfortunately could not wait for the Sun to lower but thought it made an interesting shoot anyway...

Thanks for all your comments, I learn a lot by them ....:thumbsup:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rhinos Against the Sun-img-17.jpg  
    Thanks !

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Re: Rhinos Against the Sun

This is a really strong image. I like the positions of the rhinos in the frame. I would suggest playing with the crop just a little, a nudge off the top or bottom but that's a personal preference. How lucky you are that you can go out for a drive and find such a scene as this!
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

I like where the sun is in this shot. Shooting into the sun is (in my opinion) the best way to get to know your camera and lense. Taken into post production, the sky may yield a wealth of data, that completely changes the feel of the shot. I would like to see a wider tonal range in the sky, this is because I would apply filters to this shot to accentuate the sunlight that bounced back onto the shadow of the first rhino. Its a great shot. Much better than your first shot. I can't help but wonder what lense and camera you used for this shot, given the way they captured the light against the top of the hill. Good work.

New York State Of Mind. J-Dogg Productions's Avatar

i like the silhouette of the rhinos i feel the sun is a little overwhelming id prefer if the sun was out of sight below that hill and you just saw the silhouettes but im sure the rhinos don't give you all day to catch this shot lol

nice shot
    J.Curreri

Quote Originally Posted by reverberation
    I like where the sun is in this shot. Shooting into the sun is (in my opinion) the best way to get to know your camera and lense. Taken into post production, the sky may yield a wealth of data, that completely changes the feel of the shot. I would like to see a wider tonal range in the sky, this is because I would apply filters to this shot to accentuate the sunlight that bounced back onto the shadow of the first rhino. Its a great shot. Much better than your first shot. I can't help but wonder what lense and camera you used for this shot, given the way they captured the light against the top of the hill. Good work.
    I took this picture with a compact Canon A95 and do not have any filters. This is also the only camera I have... Would love to upgrade to a 30D or something in future though.....
    Thanks !

Thread Information