Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Smile reflected crater canyon

just came back from a three day trip to the Negev and took this in the ramon crater on a hike there will be more to come

reflected crater canyon-reflection-canyon-.jpg!

Please Comment

Re: reflected crater canyon

It always amazes me how much the Israeli desert looks like parts of Southern Nevada, Utah, and California. Someday I need to visit it myself!

This is an interesting image. But it's suffering from a too much contrast. I am sure it was a really tough exposure. And I think you did it right because you've held the highlights well. However, I think it needs some selective adustment to open up the shadows. Right now the black spot in the middle, which I assume is a bush, sucks my eye right in and I get stuck. If you lighten up everything but the sky and lit wall, I think it might have more definition and allow the eye to travel around better. It's worth a try, anyway.

Thanks for sharing! Hope my comments help :-)
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

MB1

yes, as John noted that is a fine composition but it has just too much contrast and range to work.

There is a good reason landscape photographers shoot at dawn and dusk-and all that contrast you found in the middle of the day is it.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Thank you for the comments! I see what you mean about the contrast and I'll photoshop it tommorow when i get home from school. MB1 - unfortionatly i didn't have the option to wait untill dusk or go there at dawn. mabe someday... also can you elaborate about the to much range to work?

That dark spot draws the eye......

Nice composition, but a different time of day might have worked better.

Len

I think MB is trying to say..(maybe not) that you will have to overexpose one portion in order to to bring out the under exposed areas. I can see where the left wall cliff is at its limit and you still need to bring out the dark thingy area in middle. A tough exposure. You can work at it in PS..(I've never done that!) but you really need to get in there at a better lighting situation. Good luck! If I was messing with it I would probably layer the sky and left bright wall face above the shadow area and tweak the levels down. Then adjust the entire pic levels up a bit..?..
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

Long live photoshop!! I tried editing it please tell me how it came out (thank you JK) and if theres anything else i can do to improve it.

reflected crater canyon-reflection-canyon-2.jpg

please comment!
    TIA

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

A great improvement! Well done. Now we can all see what got your attention about this scene. I like your subject and composition very much. The layers in the rock face and the mirrored reflection give nice impressions of texture while that crazy bush/grassy area just off center says 'I'm different, Look at me!"
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Nice work..now get in there and dodge and burn a bit...small amounts along the cracks really bring out definition...I like to zoom in a bit and tediuosly make it less apparent. Burn the bright spot a bit on wall next to bush..perhaps zoom and throw some dodge on a few of the brush tips. ...or did you already? and maybe a little soft burn on the whitest area of the cloud..nothing uniform..just here and there.
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

thank you so much for the feedback CLK and thank you for the tips JK I think I'll try that when I Have some time off!

Nice scene. Even after the adjustments to the shadow areas, to me, the photo still has a bit too much contrast. Fill-flash would have helped

If i had a flash (not including the built in onw on the compact i use) i would use it

Great scene, nice framing and I agree with others about this being too contrasty.
    About the edit, I think it's better that the bush has detail and perhaps a bit more can help but the reflection in the water is too light for my liking. I like the dimly lit reflection of the original because it is subtle, looks like a reflection and does not fight for attention with the upper portion of the image. I would just pull out whatever detail you can from the bush in the center, perhaps lighten the bottom just a bit but not more.
    I think the edit is good, and bad in that it went a bit far in the other direction.
    Also, there is only going to be so much that can be done to this from the one original exposure. Watch the halos around the rock formations when applying your edits.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yairh20
    If i had a flash (not including the built in onw on the compact i use) i would use it

Ah! But, bright daylight like this is exactly when it's OK :thumbsup: to use your on camera flash. That is, of course, if you're close enough to your subject for fill flash to reach and do any good. If you shot this through a long range zoom lens or were over 10 yards away then it's probably not going to give you much help.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

My flash would have hit maximum the water...

''Once the bush was exposed and not just adistracting blackness the picture just openes up. The colors are so sharp they look faked. But i get that alot here in Colorado. I really enjoy the picture as a whole.
    Army

Great shot. Striking color contrast between the rock and sky and well-balanced composition. Much better tonal range in the second version you posted.

Thank you for all the comments Ghapsedy- I'm a little bit confused about what you wrote, you said you liked the reflection better in the first picture because it was darker but then you said that i should lighten up the bottem just a bit?! and thank you army and freedom for the comments

Thread Information